Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: query - driving

Registered Childminder since
    jun 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default query - driving

Hi all, big apologises for not posting for a while, been hibernating for the winter

Quick question, a childminder has just passed her driving test, is she allowed to drive children around for a fee, whilst in her probationary period?

And any ideas how/who would insure her

Thanks
    Claire x

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I passed my driving test last year and I was able to take mindees in the car straight away. I got my insurance through insurethebox.com. I had quotes from lots of companies and they all came in at over £3000 because I was a new driver!!! Insure the box quoted about £1500 so I went with that. They didn't charge any extra for business use. I just got my renewal a few weeks ago and it has gone down to around £400 for this year. I can't believe what a difference one years no claims discount has made.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

just asked hubby who is a driving instructor and he says there was talk about new drivers not being able to carry passengers for a certain period of time but it
    hasn't come into force, you could check on the dsa website and ask the question on there to be on the safe side. I have business insurance and
    can use our car for carrying mindees.

When you say drive children round for a fee do you mean charge extra for doing it or as being paid to look after children?
    Cath

jun 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathtee View Post
    just asked hubby who is a driving instructor and he says there was talk about new drivers not being able to carry passengers for a certain period of time but it
    hasn't come into force, you could check on the dsa website and ask the question on there to be on the safe side. I have business insurance and
    can use our car for carrying mindees.

When you say drive children round for a fee do you mean charge extra for doing it or as being paid to look after children?
    Sorry yes I meant as part of the childminding fee
    Claire x

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on passing your test

With regard to charging a fee - if you do, you come under taxi regulations, however, if you're picking a mindee up prior to their contracted time then you can change contracts to reflect the time you leave your house to collect, with your hourly rate, and you can claim .45p per mile on your expenses