Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to stop this getting out of hand

One of my mindees is becoming a little cheeky. She is only 2 but has started running into the kitchen when mum arrives and asking for something to eat. Yesterday it was a banana, today a biscuit. Of course I dont want to be mean and not give her anything but at the same time I think it is quite cheeky especially as mum follows her and seems to expect it too! Today I had to give all the other mindees a biscuit too and they had only just finished tea. I just dont want this to be a habit that will carry on every day. How can I nip it in the bud without sounding horrible?

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you fix a stair gate to the kitchen door so she cant run in there?
    If all else fails......add glitter!

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had children that do that and have a 4yr old at the moment who does it, they are told no its time to go home and l remind them what they had for a snack earlier and that l am sure mummy will let them have something at home, no way do they get anything.

4. Likes loocyloo, merry liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is reallly common for children of that age to suddenly become little horrors at home time.

I would advise you to put a stop to it now. I doubt you'd put up with it from her during the day, so don't feel like you have to just because mum is there. Mum & daughter both need to know that it's your house & your rules.

Does mum come in when she collects her child, or do you do a hand over at the door? I possible I would try to keep the hand over as near to the front door as possible. If mindee tries to run off, stop her. Either block her way, or pick her up. If she says she wants something to eat say "no, you've had your tea. Mummy will give you something at home". Be firm and mum & daughter will soon get the idea

6. Likes LauraS, loocyloo liked this post
    Jun 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It is reallly common for children of that age to suddenly become little horrors at home time.

I would advise you to put a stop to it now. I doubt you'd put up with it from her during the day, so don't feel like you have to just because mum is there. Mum & daughter both need to know that it's your house & your rules.

Does mum come in when she collects her child, or do you do a hand over at the door? I possible I would try to keep the hand over as near to the front door as possible. If mindee tries to run off, stop her. Either block her way, or pick her up. If she says she wants something to eat say "no, you've had your tea. Mummy will give you something at home". Be firm and mum & daughter will soon get the idea
    Exactly this ^. Nip it in the bud now.

I'd also have a premptive chat with the child before collection too, along the lines of being good when collected, shoes on coat on nicely etc. Then praise when she manages it, lay it on thick.
    Apologies for the random full stops. Phone buttons too small, thumbs too big.

dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Pitting a stair gate across kitchen door soon gives them the message

Post Thanks / Like

No need for stair gate in my opinion. If you ask me an out and out no is the answer. Refer to your healthy eating policy and that she has already had snack/tea so its to soon for her to have anything else. If you are really that hungry I'm sure mummy will give you something when you get home.

oct 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola Carlyle View Post
    No need for stair gate in my opinion. If you ask me an out and out no is the answer. Refer to your healthy eating policy and that she has already had snack/tea so its to soon for her to have anything else. If you are really that hungry I'm sure mummy will give you something when you get home.
    i agree, just say no. and try to change the subject or say lets save it until next time

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably make light of it too "you'll eat me out of house and home, you will, I'm sure mummy has something yummy for you at home." And then remind mummy thst it's not fair on the others if one child gets extras after tea!!