Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bean bag saftey

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bean bag saftey

Hi

Had visit from CO today and she was concerned abt sleep arrangements for just 2yr old. He was very hard to settle didnt like pushchair/cot or sofa so I tried bean bag with blanket over head (until sleep) and this had worked and everyone happier.

So can anyone point me to advice abt toddlers and beanbags? Lots on babies n I wouldn't let a baby to sleep in beanbag but can't find info on toddlers..

The LO sleeps in the middle of the lounge whilst I'm either eating my lunch or doing paperwork so he is in view.

I do understand the possible risks for babies but this LO is 2yr now so unlikely to roll onto front without being able to roll bk- ( he is bk sleepier)

He is the only one in the setting that sleeps like this all the others are cot sleepers.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts xT

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This website says that they are not suitable for children under 12mths of age.

News

I would have thought they were OK for a 2yr old if you are in the room, watch their temperature (no risk of over heating) and check that there is no chance of them getting to the beads and swallowing them.

How long does he sleep in it? My main concern would probably be the position he was sleeping in, but if it's only for a limited time it's not so bad.

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what Mouse says. Now that the child has found a place that he is happy to sleep could you change the beanbag for one of these dog beds that some childminders use (obviously the dog bed is new and not used by a dog). As the little one would still be able to sleep in the same room, but the risks taken away.