Boiler service cover
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boiler service cover

Who do you use and how much does it cost?

I'm looking at it just now. I can get it with British Gas for £9 a month but that's with a £99 excess, it does include annual service though. It goes up to £13.50 if the excess is £50.

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Im with British Gas but my cover is for the boiler and the complete central heating system and plumbing. It covers all parts and labour and has no excess. Its 24.99 per month
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to sell boiler care for e-on and british gases ability to come out and sort you out if something goes wrong is second to none! They have bad stuff and good stuff like and company but they respond on average quicker to a break down than most, so it's your call. How old is your boiler ?! What make is it?! What type of boiler is it?!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lubeam View Post
    I use to sell boiler care for e-on and british gases ability to come out and sort you out if something goes wrong is second to none! They have bad stuff and good stuff like and company but they respond on average quicker to a break down than most, so it's your call. How old is your boiler ?! What make is it?! What type of boiler is it?!
    It's a worcester combi boiler, it was only put in less than a month ago.

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

It takes on average 3 years for limescale to build up and only above 57c , your boiler is pretty generic ( that's a good things parts don't cost as much ) so maybe save the money for 5 years then if anything goes you've got it there and then take boiler cover ?! I've had my boiler 7 years and its 'broke' twice, once from over pressurising ( DH ) and once from limescale in the filler pipe. £10 pipe 10 mins to change cost £50 !
    Everyone's different , personally I'd set up a standing order for 15 a month to savings , then in 5 years take out a policy and enjoy your £900 savings HTH ?! Steph

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lubeam View Post
    It takes on average 3 years for limescale to build up and only above 57c , your boiler is pretty generic ( that's a good things parts don't cost as much ) so maybe save the money for 5 years then if anything goes you've got it there and then take boiler cover ?! I've had my boiler 7 years and its 'broke' twice, once from over pressurising ( DH ) and once from limescale in the filler pipe. £10 pipe 10 mins to change cost £50 !
    Everyone's different , personally I'd set up a standing order for 15 a month to savings , then in 5 years take out a policy and enjoy your £900 savings HTH ?! Steph
    I've been told by my inspector I need to have an annual service contract in place so that's the only reason I was looking at them, hence going for the cheapest option.

May 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I've been told by my inspector I need to have an annual service contract in place so that's the only reason I was looking at them, hence going for the cheapest option.
    that i no nothing about ! sorry

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you in Scotland or Wales? If you are in England you don't have to have a care plan in place or have an annual service. If an inspector has told you you have to they are wrong. Though it is a good idea to have your boiler checked over regularly and have a carbon monoxide alarm. My boiler and central heating system are only two years old so I have not got a plan in place at the moment, I do have the numbers of two good and qualified gas engineers though!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Are you in Scotland or Wales? If you are in England you don't have to have a care plan in place or have an annual service. If an inspector has told you you have to they are wrong. Though it is a good idea to have your boiler checked over regularly and have a carbon monoxide alarm. My boiler and central heating system are only two years old so I have not got a plan in place at the moment, I do have the numbers of two good and qualified gas engineers though!
    I'm in Scotland. I did tell her it wasn't even a month old and that our plumber is corgi registered but she said I have to have an annual service contract in place to become registered.

10. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in England and I was told by an inspector that I showed good practice by having an up to date gas safe certificate. I just get my own gas man to service it each year.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

As a tennant the lsnflord has to do a gas safety certificate but now that I think about it I never got a copy. Must ask for it.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmin68 View Post
    I am in England and I was told by an inspector that I showed good practice by having an up to date gas safe certificate. I just get my own gas man to service it each year.
    Is this for a house you own or rent? If you rent your landlord needs on but if it is your own home it is not required and an Ofsted inspector can not make you get one or make any comment about it on a report. It is good practice to have all gas appliances serviced every year yes, but even that is not compulsory under EYFS.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I own my own house. The inspector just passed comment that she was glad to see it.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

July 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I'm in Scotland. I did tell her it wasn't even a month old and that our plumber is corgi registered but she said I have to have an annual service contract in place to become registered.
    I'm interested in this as I registered in Scotland last year and my inspector never even asked me about my boiler! I may ask my DO about this and see what she says.

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Scotland and have never been asked about this in 9 years!!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit strange then!! Can anyone recommend who I can ask for a second opinion?