Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Frustrated!

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frustrated!

Hi everyone,

I have a 3 yr old mindee who I have cared for since June last year. After receiving some speech and language training towards the end of last year I developed concerns that this mindee had language delay . I broached the subject with the mindee' s mum yesterday after monitoring her for a couple of months . Mum then called the health visitor upon leaving my house . The mindee' s father this morning reported back that the health visitor explained that she would only need to see the child if the parents shared these concerns, which they don't . I' m frustrated that the health visitor has so easily dismissed my concerns . In a profession where childcare practitioners are ' working together in partnership', this shows a blatant disregard of a fellow practitioner' s professional opinion . Am I being too sensitive?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I understand your frustration - I was in the same situation some time ago.

Unfortunately we cannot parent the child - or tell parents what to do.

We can advise and support and do our best and hope that eventually if the child needs support they will get it.

Hugs to you for caring xx

3. Likes watgem liked this post
    sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Burgoyne1982 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a 3 yr old mindee who I have cared for since June last year. After receiving some speech and language training towards the end of last year I developed concerns that this mindee had language delay . I broached the subject with the mindee' s mum yesterday after monitoring her for a couple of months . Mum then called the health visitor upon leaving my house . The mindee' s father this morning reported back that the health visitor explained that she would only need to see the child if the parents shared these concerns, which they don't . I' m frustrated that the health visitor has so easily dismissed my concerns . In a profession where childcare practitioners are ' working together in partnership', this shows a blatant disregard of a fellow practitioner' s professional opinion . Am I being too sensitive?
    I know who you are!!!!!! It is difficult when you send so much time with the child and frustrating when your concerns aren't taken seriously. I would suggest making a note of your concerns and date them too, when you spoke to parents, etc and keep this in your contact file. That way should anyone challenge you, you can evidence your concerns. My DS didn't really speak at 3 though, and now you can't shut him up - ask Amanda! Missing you at groups as my car isn't working but hope to be back to normal next week!

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, very frustrating. I have a 3yo mindee who has a bad stammer. I have been trying to get parents to agree to a referral but they refuse, nothing I can do. Just document your concerns so that if it comes up again you can prove you mentioned it before!!

Feb 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JulieA View Post
    I know who you are!!!!!! It is difficult when you send so much time with the child and frustrating when your concerns aren't taken seriously. I would suggest making a note of your concerns and date them too, when you spoke to parents, etc and keep this in your contact file. That way should anyone challenge you, you can evidence your concerns. My DS didn't really speak at 3 though, and now you can't shut him up - ask Amanda! Missing you at groups as my car isn't working but hope to be back to normal next week!
    Thanks Julie (and everyone else). I'm sure it will all come out in the wash and I'm using strategies to help her communication skills. This forum is a good place to vent I feel! Missing you too Julie - be great to see you back in the fold xx

7. Likes JulieA liked this post
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I keep talking about this but do you have a daily fiaryn I was gold to I think by Sarah. It is so good. Put down your conversation with parents and so why you think there are problems with speech. Give examples. Keep a record to protect your self. Also put a copy in your concerns folder. Ugh as we want to hit these parents over the head with a heavy folder resist!!! You told them. Can you talk to someone in speech and language who could advise you? Good luck.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Burgoyne1982 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I dont think the health visitor disreguarded what you were saying - if the parents say they dont agree with you what was she to do - demand the child have a speech referral and ignore the parents.

I think you are being too sensitive over the issue now if she had refused after the parent agreed with you then she was being unprofessional.

Also is this the first time you have mentioned to the parents about the speech - it can come as a shock to parents to discover their wondeful beautiful child is not as perfect as they thought.

Write down the situation and keep monitoring the speech is all you can do
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door