more newbie advice re holidays
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default more newbie advice re holidays

I was wondering if you give parents holiday days. It seems strange to me but the childminders around here seem to give 20 days. I just see that as 20 days I'm not going to get paid for. Also if I can't have my holiday at the same time then there will be more days I don't get paid. Hummmm do you give holiday days? Is this something parents expect?

Thanks!

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the registration process but I've got in my fees policy that if I'm on holiday then parents are not expected to pay but if they take a holiday then full fees are payable. The way I see it is if my service is available but they choose not to use it then they should still pay for it but if I'm not available I can't expect parents to pay me.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I charge my parents for their holidays if they are not taken at the same time as mine. I give them the dates I will be taking in January
    and they can either take the same weeks and not have to pay or take their own and pay me when they are off. I take 4-5 weeks each
    year 2 in term time and 2 in the 6 weeks school holiday, hope this helps.
    Cath

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If a parent goes on holiday or LO is ill then they still pay. If I go on holiday or I or my son is ill then parents don't pay. I don't give a specified number of weeks I will be on leave but give as much notice as possible so parents can try and take a holiday at the same time

june 83
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge parents full fees if they are on holiday or if mindee is ill, but do not charge them for my holidays or if I am off ill. I let them know as early as possible of my holiday dates so that they can either book the same time or arrange child care

apr 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I give 4 weeks holiday to families (if they come once a week then this is 4 days or 5 x week this would be 20 days holiday).

I charge full for illness or cancellations within 48 hrs.

I don't charge for my holidays or days off.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

spin it on its head hon. give parents 4 weeks payment free -but for YOUR holidays. Any time they take off that doesn't match with your chosen holidays is full fee
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

I don't charge for my holidays but I have them when I want - if you have several families on the books you couldn't possibly please everyone so you may as well please yourself. I charge for parents holidays as I'm open for business.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge when I'm available, don't charge when I'm not. Give at least 4 weeks notice of any holiday time (more if known in advance)

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear (because it took a while for me to realise!) if you mind for several families, and they all decide when they take their 4 weeks (or however long) holiday... you will basically work all year round but with slightly less children on certain days. However, if you set your own holiday dates (I say 2 weeks at Xmas and 2 weeks in summer hols - and provide exact dates at few months in advance) you actually get some time off yourself!!!! I found this as I started to look after more families, then my own children started to go to school. For me, the fact that I don't get paid for this time is irrelevant - I NEED some time off!!! At least by setting your own dates you know you will have a break from it - it's very important and I've never had a parent argue with that!