Smoking in cars - advise please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Smoking in cars - advise please

I look after a 12 month old who is brought to me in the morning by her Mum and collected in the afternoon by her cousin (to save the parents money) Mum then collects the baby from cousins house a few hours later.

Today, I was going out straight after cousin collected and I saw her light up while driving, with baby in the car. Should I tell the Mum I saw this? Mum knows cousin smokes as she has mentioned it, but I don't know if they have an agreement about smoking around the baby.

I am concerned obviously for the baby's health, also I don't want any come back onto me, as Mum collects baby from cousins so she doesn't know what state she left me in, I am concerned that in the future she may say something like 'Baby always smells of smoke when I collect her', this could get me into serious trouble. I just want to cover myself really, and make sure Mum is aware that this is happening. What should I do?

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how you could drop it into comversation. Somehow without snitching, like you thought she knew.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

ooh that's a hard one...I thought the government was making it illegal to smoke with children in the car?

Think it would depend how friendly you are with mum-I would feel able to tell any of my parents this but would probably ask that they not mention me as I didn't want any bad atmosphere on collection around LO.....but then i'm a wimp anyone could have seen her in the car.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I cant bear it if people smoke in the car when theres kiddies in it too! Really winds me up. I would say something to my parents as I know them well enough but not sure if you feel you could do this yourself. Sorry thats not much help really xx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say..... Can i just mention and if you already know then you are going to have to forgive me for poking my nose in but i need to tell you....................................

Its just that i dont want you to blame me if little .... smells slightly of smoke at any time.

And smile broadly while you are saying it, keep it light hearted.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You could pick up a leaflet about smoking dangers and give it to mum for the cousin - say you saw her light up and weren't sure if she understood the risks of smoking around children.

It's not illegal but it is totally unacceptable especially nowadays with the information we have about the dangers

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet mum does not know
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing