Fire Alarms
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fire Alarms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fire Alarms

Hiya - just a quick question - does anyone know how many fire alarms we are supposed to have? I just went to buy one and it said "one on each floor and one in each bedroom"!! At £40 a go - I think thats a bit excessive???

Sorry - that was a really boring question, I know!!!

Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

We have one on each landing (3 storey house) all wired into the electrics with battery back up and a carbon monoxide detector by the door in the lounge where the woodburner is. Not sure about every room though. Why not get your local fireman round and ask him

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one in the hall and one on the landing - if the fire is downstairs and we are asleep in bed then both smoke alarms will go off and wake us up. Surely you only need a smoke alarm in each bedroom if maybe you are a guest house, a student shared house or you smoke in bed!

Often if you phone your local fire station they will come round (in full uniform ) inspect your house and give out free smoke alarms if you don't have enough. And £40 seems a lot of money - have you looked in Argos they are less than £20.

4. Likes loocyloo, mum24 liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a three story and have one on each landing/ hallway
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

phone your local fire station and ask them to do a home visit! might be lucky and they come with a fire engine too !!!

i've got one in my hall and one on my landing.

x

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had 2 very nice young firemen come and install my fire alarms they put one in the lounge/hall and one on the landing free of charge
    I mentioned I was a childminder and they didn't say I needed more but worth checking you may get a nice fireman come to yours
    Cath

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lots, but its cos I am worried about fire. My son has one in his bedroom cos I got worried when he was little if a fire broke out in his bedroom. One in my childminding room which is adjacent to the kitchen, one in the hall and one on the landing.

Imagine our worries when one went off in the night, no idea why though

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours sometimes go off in the middle of the night if a very small insect like a spider or a moth gets inside. Scares the living daylights out of me every time....
    I have to get the blinkin hoover out and clean it if I can't find the insect as once it went of three times in an hour. I wasn't impressed...lol
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=loocyloo;1187459]phone your local fire station and ask them to do a home visit! might be lucky and they come with a fire engine too !!!

i've got one in my hall and one on my landing.

Is that fire engines...?

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in Scotland and we have to have mains powered alarms for childminding , have both in the hall - one upstairs and one downstairs - was advised only needed to get one in the bedroom too if I was using a bedroom for minding and the children would be sleeping in there - did not register any of my bedrooms so didn't have to do this. I do have babies but as they sleep in the livingroom/playroom and I am there too I didnty have tp get any extra