Reassurance needed for new CM!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reassurance needed for new CM!

I've just done a settling-in session with my first mindee who's 8 months old and despite raising two children of my own, it felt quite daunting being alone & in charge of someone else's child for the first time!! I haven't had a baby to care for some time and it was like having a newborn again.

Tell me it gets easier and will come flooding back to me because if I feel like this after an hour how on earth will I cope will a full day in 2 weeks. Any hints on settling in a clingy baby and what to do in these early weeks also much appreciated
    MrsP2C

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It gets easier over time I can reassure you

Once they settle and get used to you and you get used to routines they start to become part of the family.
    I've been working with children for 18yrs and I still get a little nervous with new children starting but it doesn't last long.

Just give baby lots of love and attention as at that age its the bonding that is important
    And soon you'll wonder what you were worrying about
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

3. Likes cathtee liked this post
    dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

hi im not a registered CM yet but i been a nursery nurse for 10 yrs

in all rightness it can take a child 2-4 weeks to get used to 'being left'. Encourage the parent to give a kissy say bye i will be back later and then go and phone in 30min - 1hr not to hang about as kids then pick up on "oohhh if i cry she will STAY!!!! " and let the parent know settling in takes a while but as soon as you go i bet they calm.... distract the littlely "ohhh lets go and look in the garden see if we can see any birds.... can u hear them" you know what im getting at?

hope that helps a tad x

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with JCrackers, I've been minding for over 20 years and it is always daunting when you have a little baby to look after but it
    does get easier
    Cath

6. Likes sue m liked this post
    Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the hand holding & suggestions much appreciated. I've realised I put my first mindee when I've actually already done some ad hoc minding for a toddler & 7 yr old which didn't faze me at all so it's clearly just having a baby again that's totally thrown me

We've got a nice gradual settling in: hour today, 2 x 1 hour dropping off sessions next week plus meeting up at a baby group one morning then official start the following week but mum's work have just deferred her return to work by 2 weeks so she's picking up after lunch for until she's back at work (but still paying me for the full day)

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Long walks are great for passing time and keeping them occupied..