Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: after schoolers

Registered Childminder since
    sep 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default after schoolers

i need ideas for 5 very active, easily bored children who are 11, 10, 9, 8 and 6.
    yestersay was the first day, we went on the park for a bit after school, came back had tea, tidied up, they all went
    outside on the trampoline for a bit then the girls made a haloween picture (reluctently) and the boys played a game on the laptop
    time went fast, they go home at 6. but i did have a few moments of them hanging around looking bored :/
    i asked them to fill an about me sheet in but all they wrote was, trampoline and xbox. they say they dont like board games, cooking, crafts (all the things i would normally do!!)
    i also have 18 and 15 month old who are easily pleased

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would explain that you dont have xbox etc and so you need some other ideas of what they like to do, if they come up with some then great , prehaps you can give them a craft book or argos book to look through for ideas, if they dont give you any ideas then I would leave them to it and carry on with the littlies as normal, for example after school I have a 15month old and 3.5yrold 5yold and 8yrold , first few days the schoolies looked bored and fed up but with the younger ones I carried on doing my normal activites, ie snack, then drawing or painting etc and eventualy they started to either join in with us or choosing games to play.
    I have given older ones a load of blankets and clothes airers before to make dens , ususaly though the older ones , once they settle in, just play together. I certainly wouldnt ask them to do an activity if they didnt want to, I would invite them to join in but if they said no I would carry on with those who did and the others just have to get on with it.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonight I pick up 5 boys and a 2 girls from school. One girl plays with 3yr old mindee and the other is easily pleased with either joining in or with some pens and sheets of paper

The thevboys however are hard work aged between 7-9. With no park now its muddy we have started coming in at 345 and they usually go between 530-6pm.
    When the weather was warmer and drier we called at the park on the way home and got in at 415ish, tea, wii and play

I do allow the wii after tea as this is what they all enjoy and I don't see a problem with it after they have been at school all day. So 430-445ish they have half an hour of that.

I recently gave them a notebook for them to jot down any toys they would like now the park is out of bounds and they came up with a list of things I'm going to look at buying.

I do find that my boys don't want to do crafts or anything that involves concentrating like a board game because they've been at school all day and just want to relax. So that's what they do really And if they want to watch some tv or a DVD then that's fine with me and the parents
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.