Autistic Mindee
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Autistic Mindee

Chrysalis Guest

Default Autistic Mindee

I'm about to take on an autistic child in school holidays, just wondering if anyone has any advice/tips and as a childminder does anyone know if there's any extra support/training I could look into. I have lots of knowledge of autism, just wondering if there's anything specifically for childminders?

Thanks in advance! x

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya, I was a TA before I became a childminder and spent eight years working with a child with Autism. I still provide respite for him now! Im a bit out of touch with new courses now but if lo has speech and language difficulties I can highly recommend the Elklan training. I used communicationforall website loads and the PECS system, you can google them. Hope that helps, it can be very rewarding if not alot of hard work eh! good luck xxx
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

we covered autism when I did a free community inclusion course(emergency care for social care)...ask your development team if they offer this

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked my nertwork corordinator this same question the other day. she said a lot of childminders ask for course on Autism so she will try and get one arranged.

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching this thread with interest I've just had a lo start with speech delay autism,

Things are going well, he is very sweet, repeats alot, very Independant, :-) x