Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Q for my pre-reg friend

Hi all

My pre-reg friend has an open plan kitchen/hall/living room/dining room etc and she can't find any gates that fit to close them off to the children. She's been told at her course that it's not a problem and she doesn't actually need them (just needs to ensure the kids are safe and don't wander into the kitchen). She's a bit concerned about how she'll do this, esp when dealing with another child and we all know some toddlers are fast as lightning!!

All those of you who are open plan, do you have any tips/advice so I can reassure my friend before her pre-reg inspection please?

Thanks all x

Hels xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't have open plan I have an old victorian terrace and the kitchen is down a long hallway, but I don't close off my kitchen. I have locks on the cupboard doors in the kitchens so they can wander in and out safely. If I'm cooking babies are up at the table doing something
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine used a baby dan playpen to enclose certain areas off in her open plan kitchen. It depends how wide the space is though.

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem - used one of those extending fireguards. DH put hooks into the door frames to secure it to. Screws weren't particularly obtrusive and it worked well

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am completely open plan here- in kitchen area I just keep knives etc out of reach, use cupboard locks and if oven is actually on/hot I am around to supervise. It has never been a problem, in fact it is great to be able to potter in the kitchen preparing/clearing up/cooking and have full view of children in play area or at the dining table.

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    5/3/13
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not open plan but don't have a gate on door...locks on cupboards...Ofsted were fine with it.

Jan 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here , I've got locks on all my unit doors children are free to come and go as they please never had any problems. x