Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fire extinguisher, new requirement?

Is not extinguisher a new requirement. I have been to,do it is, but cannot find where it says this if may be my over worked brain of late, as am preparing for my ins, can anyone shed light on this

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

No
    I was checked way back on pre inspection and on every inspection since. In fact I used to keep it in cupboard to get out easily and at last inspection last nov was told to have it out of cupboard on display.
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

No apparently not.

I phoned and checked on this as the wording was abit misleading but was told it was just an example of what we could have rather than a requirement.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow so sorry about my spelling in original post, it made sense when I typed and read it.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I am confused as I had it as an action to move it by ofsted!!!!!!
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, I keep thinking I have everything in hand and then find out there is something new to do, so glad I don't need one, going to get a brew before updating some more policies

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Page 24 3.54
    3.54 Providers must take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of children, staff and others on the premises in the case of fire or any other emergency, and must have an emergency evacuation procedure. Providers must have appropriate fire detection and control equipment (for example, fire alarms, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers) which is in working order. Fire exits must be clearly identifiable, and fire doors must be free of obstruction and easily opened from the inside.

Just says for example so is not clear. Does not mention fire blanket but personally I would use a fire blanket but not an extinguisher in that if a child caught fire I would use the blanket if anything else caught fire then I would be out like a shot!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been told not to try and fight a fire but just get the children and myself out quickly so they are safe. Apparently there are different types eg foam/powder for differents types of fire.
    Pixie Dust

Pipsqueak Guest

All fire service personnel will tell you that they do not recommend you attempt to fight a fire - they tell you to let the professionals deal with with the RIGHT equipment.

They also say - what extinguisher would you have... do you know which type is used for which sort of fire? using the wrong one could have dire consequences.

They tell to you to ensure you have an established fire/evacuation plan

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to be fully trained to use a Fire Extinguisher if you are not they can be very dangerous. They also need to be checked every year by a safety company and signed off.

As Pip has said, the Fire Brigade recommend, we do not fight fires we get out with the children to a lace of safety and call fro professional help.

As it does not stipulate the need for a Fire Blanket now I have taken mine down. I would have used it but I have been trained how to, again they are very dangerous if you haven't been trained how to use them.

I now have a lovely ceramic owl on the hook in the kitchen where my blanket was and it is so much nicer without it there.