Mindee's parents want a tutor to come to mine ...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mindee's parents want a tutor to come to mine ...

Just a quick question ... as Ofsted are closed for the weekend but maybe one of you had a similar situation...
    Mindee aged 8 has a tutor who comes every week. So far it was just during the weekend but they want to move it to a weekday so they can do their own things at weekend. I have no problem with it. How would that work with Ofsted?
    It is an arrangement between the parents and the tutor. They (the mindee and tutor) would be in separate room. The tutor is a qualified teacher.
    Anybody knows?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No way. I would not allow this as it would be an intrusion into my home and a stranger coming in when I have mindees. What do you do when another parent asks for this?

No this is something for the parents and home not for me the childminder

md0u0131 Guest

I haven't come across this personally yet but my instinct is to not agree to it.

I agree with rickysmiths I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely you'd have to get the crb checked through ofsted.

Not something I'd be comfortable with myself

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Would be a NO from me - agree with what others have said

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately no from me, if the parents want a tutor for lo then book it for after they get home from yours. It's a invasion of your home and outreaches the boundaries of childminding.
    Cath

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

No would be my answer, as far as I am concerned its something the parents should organise during their time.

Although they would be probably be CRB'd I wouldnt want a stranger regularly in my home.

aly Guest

why cant she go to the childs house after she leaves you?

no way would I do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I would consider it. Check with Ofsted, but I would assume the tutor would need a crb check done for your premises.
    I wouldn't have a separate room in my house that they could use so they would have to be at the dining room table, but if the parents were happy with that then that would be fine by me. You never know, it might be one more professional who is able to sing your praises and refer families to you.

Post Thanks / Like

i think it depends on the circumstances, my daughter was very poorly and the LA paid for a tutor for her, at the time I was working and my was childminding so she looked after my daughter and the tutor went whilast she was childminding other kids, they usually used the dining table in the main room so he wasnt left alone with her, a condition of having a tutor was that there should be another adult present. I would have had to give up my job otherwise.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would guess that the tutor would need to have a CRB check before they could be left alone with the child and that you would need to check your insurance when you have someone else working at your property.

Years ago I did used to have a physio & nursery teacher come to my home to work with a mindee. It was before Ofsted though, so things were different. They were never left alone with mindee and I used to sit & observe.

Check with Ofsted on Monday. I'd be interested to know what they say.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No, the tutoring should be done in their own time, not at my house. My son has a tutor who comes after I finish work, I don't see why they couldn't arrange the same. There is no way I would leave a child I am minding alone in a room with another adult who wasn't an official part of my business.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Logistically I can see the benefits for the child and parents, but sorry, it'd be a no from me too, for several reasons...

My home is my workplace, and this would, however well intentioned, interfere with that to a greater or lesser degree

Leaving a child with an adult, unconnected to me, alone, whilst in my care

Pressure put on other mindees to keep quiet (ok, maybe that's a benefit ) and possible distractions interfering with tuition

Other parents would need to consent too I'd imagine

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I see what you mean. I will talk to Ofsted and see what they say and report back. But you are right maybe giving them separate room is not a good idea. The child has had this tutor for years so the parents trust her.
    There is no time for them do have the tutor round during the week. The child is with me till 7.15pm every day after school they probably don't actually get home till 7.30.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want it tbh. What if you wanted to go out with the mindees or stay out a bit longer but had to rush back for the tutor? It's not fair on the other mindees as they would have to be fairly quiet and part of the house/room would be out of bounds for them. What if one of them was having a tantrum? It's just added pressure that you don't need.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I would have a problem with it TBH. But I work with my husband so it would be easier to keep an eye on everyone and my house layout is such that I could give them space ( where I could see them ) without affecting the other children.

I would only agree if the tutor was crb checked though.

I can see why the parents are asking and it's nice that they would like more family time.

BucksCM Guest

I'm going to agree with most of the posters here...no.
    After reading it a couple of times my gut reaction was if they want to spend more time with the lo then maybe change their working hours?
    Why all of a sudden, after "years" of tutoring, do they now want their weekends?
    I suppose if you're comfortable doing it, it's your decision.

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    I don't think I would have a problem with it TBH. But I work with my husband so it would be easier to keep an eye on everyone and my house layout is such that I could give them space ( where I could see them ) without affecting the other children.

I would only agree if the tutor was crb checked though.

I can see why the parents are asking and it's nice that they would like more family time.
    Wouldn't bother me either, I would have an area that would be perfect. I would be able t see them and they wouldn't be disturbed. If the parents trust her and the child feels comfortable, I wouldn't have a problem with it

onceinabluemoon Guest

I wouldn't do it

I wouldn't want to be stuck to having to be in my home at certain hours every Friday from 4 to 5.30 (for example). I would be concerned that once I did this for one child other parents would jump on the bandwagon and I'd need up with several different tutors or having to ferry children across to several different after school groups etc.

I would also be concerned that should anything untoward go on between the tutor and the child it would be on my property and therefore MY responsibility, no matter how much parents trust the tutor (bearing in mind that most cases of abuse are done by somebody the family/child trusts the fact the family trusts the tutor would not automatically make it ok for me)

I would imagine you'd have to get ofsted and other parents permission to have another adult in your home and have them crb'd by ofsted if they're not already as they'd have regular access to all the children.

But your questions wasn't if I would do it so none of that is really relevant. I would think very carefully before you tie yourself down to the same commitment that the parents want out of though...

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Initially A quick response would be OK, maybe.
    Although with a little more thought I don't think I would be happy in the long run, I'd feel restricted in going out or the activities during the tutors time there. I also don't think it would be fair on any other mindees present or my own lo's to have a stranger present and to perhaps only 'play quietly'.

But this is my opinion and if you clear it with ofsted and are happy to allow it then I hope it works out for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast