Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 12
    Non childminder member
    12 may 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Default childcare course advice needed

am looking into gaining a level 2 and then onto a level 3 in childcare very soon but ive just phoned up one place and they said am best starting at a level 2 which is good by me but then ive phoned somewhere else who have said as a childminder they will start me at level 3 help which is best to do first i have no other childcare courses and want to better myself and the children i look after but dont want to waste money and also how much paper work is their in both level 2 and 3

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what the courses are like now but when I did my nvq 2, 7 years ago it was very basic stuff that would suit someone who has no experience with children. Things like how to change a nappy, why we wear gloves, how to make up a bottle etc.

I think for most cm'ers who've done the ICP course, safeguarding and 1st aid and have written their own policies, risk assessments and paperwork i'd say that starting at level 3 would be fine.

I'm doing the level 3 diploma now and there's not much difference in the amount of work involved to the level 2 i did, there's a similar amount of written paperwork and it hasn't taken me any longer to do. I haven't found the level 3 any harder than the level 2, it just looks at more in depth things like policies and regulations rather than the basic care of the children.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They tell everyone different. I was told I had to do my Level 2 before I could do Level 3. TBH I have found although the actual work is easy enough the time it takes to do it all I have struggled with. Mind you that could be my assessor who has been worse than useless.

xxx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i wouldn't bother with level 2 hon, just go for your level 3
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

may 12
    Non childminder member
    12 may 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

thankyou no funding is in my area so looks like am footing the bill but am new and sure i have read that ofsted are wanting childminders at a level 3

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Level two is aimed at those working under supervision, you should be doing a level three.

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing CYPW level 3 diploma here http://www.parenta-training.com/cour...dcare-level-3/ It hasn't cot me a penny (except £12 I spent on a book on Amazon). They got the funding for me. I didn't have to do anything. They came to my home and filled all the paperwork with me. I had to do English and Maths test and a few weeks later I got a starter pack.

may 12
    Non childminder member
    12 may 2012
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly View Post
    I'm doing CYPW level 3 diploma here http://www.parenta-training.com/cour...dcare-level-3/ It hasn't cot me a penny (except £12 I spent on a book on Amazon). They got the funding for me. I didn't have to do anything. They came to my home and filled all the paperwork with me. I had to do English and Maths test and a few weeks later I got a starter pack.
    hi i rang parenta and they dont come to my area

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

try the childcare company too, they do online course, online work submissions with a few visits from your assessors
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got