Newbie - Do Teachers pay for holidays?

Hybrid View

Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie - Do Teachers pay for holidays?

Hello everyone,

I have my first parent meeting on Monday and Mum is a Teacher. She has 2 little ones under 5 and so I have offered a 10% sibling discount on her eldests fees as she is at Nursery in the mornings.

My plan was to charge my parents full rate when they are on holiday but nothing if I am on holiday but I understand most Childminders charge a Teacher differently. My friend doesn't charge Teachers anything for taking their holidays but she is fully established with 12 Mindees and an Assistant and only has 1 Teacher Mum. As much as I would like to do that, I simply cannot afford to let both my under 5 places go and not get paid for over 3 months of the year.

My question is, how many of you that look after a Teacher's children and how many of you don't charge anything or charge them full or half rate for their 13 weeks of holidays?

Thanks for any replies xx

Post Thanks / Like

I have teachers children and I charge a small retainer during school holidays. I am open all year round and also have children who only come during school holidays so make up my money this way.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no teachers children, but do have term time only. I do not charge a retainer as am only contracted for them during the term, and their places are used for holiday only children. What you could do is calculate the fees for these children for the x weeks that you will have them over the year and devide by 12 and have a monthly figure each month so that you don't have any month without pay. I do this with two of my children and it works out well, you just add any extras at the end of the month that they occur.

I hope this will help
    Cath

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

So by retainer do you mean a token amount that is less than half the normal pay rate? xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mamamoomin View Post
    So by retainer do you mean a token amount that is less than half the normal pay rate? xx
    Yes

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have/had teachers and school staff. i don't charge a fee for the holidays as I prefer not to work. I only have 2 siblings who are not t-time only and I agreed with mum I would only work 2 days in the holidays when she started.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

June 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I didn't realise that some parents look for a childminder for just the holidays? Is that because the children are not at school and the parents don't have enough holiday or don't want to take the time off?

Yes I was going to work out the fees pro-rata for 39 weeks and then divide by 12 but I still abit uneasy about the amount I would lose for not charging for the 13 weeks especially if I didn't get any holiday mindees. Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

I wonder if she will expect to not to have to pay? xx

chattercat Guest

I don't charge my teacher for holidays because she has a term time only contract and I have other children that just come in the holidays so it normally works out fine.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You could always charge a slightly higher rate for a term time only contract