Thread: Two questions

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Two questions

Hello,

Was just wondering what everyone's normal weekly routine is? How many planned activities do you normally do and how many outings do you go on? I feel as though I'm not doing enough, at the moment I dont do any group planning just individual planning as I only have really LO's.

My other question is how much planning do you do before a new mindee starts? Do you do any or just wait to get to know the LO first?

Thanks

Kirsty xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hello!

i don't really do any planning before a LO starts, apart from i will have got parents to fill out an 'all about me' form, so i will try and have out a few toys/have planned activities that they say the child likes. i then usually just have all the 'normal' bits out and watch and observe and go from there.

i don't really have a 'normal' weekly routine!

i have 7 EY children through the week, and they all come and mix up together!

i try to go to the toddler group at the childrens centre once every 2/3 weeks, and then the local toddlers every 2/3 weeks. (they are on different days ) usually i have different children to take, but one LO now comes both those days, and both days have a child who only attends that day! so if i always do toddlers, i can't do anything else!
    i try and make sure that each child has had a day 'at home' just playing every 2/3 weeks, and alot of the rest of the time we are out and about exploring - wether its a quick walk to the woods/park/post office/greengrocer/coffee shop or out to feed the ducks/local woods/castles/farms etc.
    usually home for lunch, and most sleep or have a quiet time in the afternoon before school runs, then home to play before tea.
    goodness, it sounds like i am always out, we're not, we do lots of stuff at home, as well as going out and about!
    when we are at home, i try to provide paint or crayons or playdough or ??? every day and also messy play/outdoor play, a story & song time, plus all the 'normal' free play toys that are out.
    i generally have 2 or 3 activities set up for the week for all the children to explore. this week i have mini beasts in soil ( ongoing from last 2 weeks ), box of fabric and a tray with glass pebbles and glass jars/glasses to put them in. depending upon how interested the children are with these, i will leave them out/add other bits, or put them away and get out something else.

sorry, that sounds very waffly! it all makes perfect sense to me!

May 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a playgroup/toddlers/soft play group every morning that I can attend but if I don't want to go or the lo's are happy playing at home then I don't go.
    I choose a singing or story time to attend again if I want to
    I always have a messy play activity out along with some of the favourite toys, an easel and playdough.
    I do an adult led craft activity maybe twice a week.
    I have 1 lo full time and 7 part time so some of the craft activties get repeated
    If the weather's nice I go to the park during the week.

Other than that I follow the children's lead, they can access all the toys so get out what they want to play with on the day, I just make a note of what they've chosen to play with on my planning.

We spent one day last week with a room full of different sized and shaped boxes, the lo's came up with all sorts of games and didn't even miss the plastic toys

I don't do any planning before a new lo starts, I follow their lead, see what they choose and then plan from there

Post Thanks / Like

My weekly routine is much like Jax and Loocyloo - out to a few groups or just a visit to the park/shops or other cm's.

I choose and set up activities based around what the children have been interested in as well as things that are happening that month like the Jubilee

I don't do any planning for Los before they start, although I will have some idea of what they like throu the settling in sessions, talking to parents etc.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most of my planning for the older children is based on continuous provision - we pick a theme and activities link to it.

For the little ones I plan inside and outside every day, again through continuous provision so that in and out complement each other.

A big part of planning for little ones is following their routines and letting them lead the play... so planning is written after the event.

I wait at least a couple of weeks to get to know children before planning for them... planning must follow on from observations

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I just work, Tues, Weds and Thurs.

Tuesday morning we either stay at home and play or go to a childrens centre or soft play, really depends on what the LOs are interested in.

Weds am we have a half hour music session followed by a play in the toy library there.

Thurs am we either go to the park or another CM's house or stay at home or country park. Quite flexible really.

I get each new parent to complete and all about me form so I know which things a child is interested in and then I plan in my diary from thenon. My mindees are 1 or 2 so quite small, so my planning is very much based on what resources I put out depending on who is in and what their current interests are. They have free access to the garden, mark, making, construction, books, small world etc.