Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: snack time?

Registered Childminder since
    Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink snack time?

Ive not got any mindees yet, & this may sound like a stupid Q but wondering how different CM do snack-time.
    Do you sit them all down in highchairs for this or give them snack & make sure they are sat down somewhere to eat it nicely.Also same with drinks?With my own son I do sometimes just let him have something as he is wandering about...oops. What works best for you & what do Ofsted want you to do?

Thanks in advance

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

I encourage the children to sit all together at the table or on the floor (depends on what we are doing) to eat snacks, drinks are always available and in childrens reach but they do not walk around with them, one child walking around eating a snack is ok but 3 will mean crumbs and dropped food all over the place.

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume Ofsted would like us to sit LOs down nicely at the table. I usually do this, but occasionally I'll give them a biscuit or breadstick and they can have them whilst they play. And sometimes we all sit on the sofa and watch some TV while we have our snack (tut tut!)

With drinks they always have their drinks (in covered cups) accessible to them and I only give them open cups when they're sat at the table.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

mine all have to sit down , sometimes at the table , sometimes picnic style. they are not allowed to wander with food . My own son , when Im not minding , is different. he soon got used to different rules when the other children are here. I do let them have their water sports bottles whenever they like but regularly take them back to the tray whenever they have left them around,

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine sit at the play table in the playroom for snacks, unless we're still in the middle of something and then I put a blanket down on the floor for the to sit on. All the crumbs and mess just get bundled up into it. But generally I find sitting them on a chair is best otherwise they tend to get up and wander around - or crawl about with hands full of breadstick...mmmm....

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a snack mat! Its a good routine to get into ... tidy up, snack mat down, have a snack and a story, up again to play

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bridey View Post
    I have a snack mat! Its a good routine to get into ... tidy up, snack mat down, have a snack and a story, up again to play
    I like this idea, obviously dependant on age etc

I want to make snacktime relaxed but also have them sitting nicely-this may be a good compromise & hope ofsted would approve lol

Reg Jan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
    I assume Ofsted would like us to sit LOs down nicely at the table. I usually do this, but occasionally I'll give them a biscuit or breadstick and they can have them whilst they play. And sometimes we all sit on the sofa and watch some TV while we have our snack (tut tut!)

With drinks they always have their drinks (in covered cups) accessible to them and I only give them open cups when they're sat at the table.
    Ha ha, love the tut tut

What I do with my own son is not really what I ought to do so thank you all for your tips, lovely to know I am not the only one who allows a bit of naughtyness. I always feel I ought to be strict to impress ofsted but guess you have to do what suits you to some extent..

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You will be surprised at how quickly even the tiny ones get to know what the mat means and what it is for!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

I do this and ofsted loved it!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine all sit on their stools at the little table. They have their water glasses there all day long, I just freshen it periodically. For children younger than 10/12 months I would pop them in a high chair for snack.

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

We have all snacks and drinks at the table, cant be doing with food and drinks spilt all over the floor and then babies crawling in it. May use picnic rug while outdoors on nice day

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh I do like this idea! What sort of mat do you use?

All of my children have the water bottles with their names on (or pics if they have an unusual name) so they all know which is theirs, it's always theirs plus they don't spill so water in the play room!
    Like my ideas on Facebook 'Play, naturally'

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

OH OH I want a snack mat!

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

We always have snacks and drinks at the table, but if their out playing in the garden they sometimes have it at the table in the play house or sat on the edge of the decking area

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

If we are indoors it is at the table ,if we are in the garden we have childs table and bench set and that is were they sit

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Iv just tried the 'snack mat' and it worked a treat. the children sat and ate their snack as I read them a story. they sat still all the way through, enjoyed the story, enjoyed the snack and crumbs were just shook outside.
    Love it!!!!!!!!

Kimmy050983 Guest

We sit at the table, the ofsted inspector actually specifically wrote that in my report, she was so impressed with snack time

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muffins View Post
    We always have snacks and drinks at the table, but if their out playing in the garden they sometimes have it at the table in the play house or sat on the edge of the decking area
    me too, roll on summer when we can be outside to eat
    Happy to be back with the Greenies