Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I've Made a Treasure Basket

Hi there,

I've started to put together a treasure basket today. Visited Dunelm and Home Bargains to get a few extras. Have you got one? I'm interested to know what your/the parents/Ofsted's opinion of them is?

may 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I've Made a Treasure Basket

I have quite a few different treasure baskets on the go at the moment. I love 'em! Ofsted commented on them when they came. Said it was good for children to play with natural things not just the usual toys that we seem to think babies will like!
    I got a good book called little book of treasure baskets which i find really helpful when making up my baskets. I got it from amazon i think. I will warn you though there is a whole range of Little books series and I ended up ordering quite a few more than I intended.
    Claire xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Little one used to love mine until he developed a throwing schema

I have 2 now because I can't stop buying little odds and bobs to go in it

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I have 2 now because I can't stop buying little odds and bobs to go in it
    Same here! Cook shops are great for finding unusual wooden things. I bought something once & the woman asked what I used it for as no one in the shop knew what it was. I said I didn't know, it was to go in a treasure basket

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm lucky and went on a sensory play course for 0-3's and it was great! As well as talking about messy play we concentrated on treasure baskets and the importance of playing with natural items.

The course was £25 which was to cover the cost of the treasure basket that normally sells for £75. I have to say that the children absolutely love playing with it and it gives lots of opportunity to observe all the areas of learning & development.

Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've enjoyed making it plus I've done it on the cheap. I'll be popping to my Mum's house for a rummage around, she's bound to have loads of stuff. Have you seen how much some companies charge for ready-made ones on the net?

Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    I'm lucky and went on a sensory play course for 0-3's and it was great! As well as talking about messy play we concentrated on treasure baskets and the importance of playing with natural items.

The course was £25 which was to cover the cost of the treasure basket that normally sells for £75. I have to say that the children absolutely love playing with it and it gives lots of opportunity to observe all the areas of learning & development.
    I'd love to go on this type of course but it's not offered locally.

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It's so annoying that you can't get on the same courses nationally. I've been very jealous of some of the courses some of you have been on!

Forgot to say that this is the company that supplied my treasure basket. It's quite a useful site to get some ideas of what to put in your basket. I still need to get a mug tree which the children love to hang different sized wooden curtain rings onto.

http://www.earlyexcellence.com/treasure_baskets.html
    Last edited by pinklady; 20-05-2009 at 06:04 PM.

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to make up a couple of treasure baskets myself, so I am watching this thread with interest, so i can pinch some ideas from you all.

Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked on the Surestart website to get ideas. Here's the link; http://www.surestart.gov.uk/_doc/P0000221.pdf

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I still need to get a mug tree which the children love to hang different sized wooden curtain rings onto.

What a great idea! going to get 1 too

Mar 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by claires View Post
    I got a good book called little book of treasure baskets which i find really helpful when making up my baskets. I got it from amazon i think. I will warn you though there is a whole range of Little books series and I ended up ordering quite a few more than I intended.
    Claire xx
    I see what you mean messy play, outdoor play, mark making etc. I understand your predicament, hard to get one without the others.