Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Second job?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Second job?

Has anyone got a second job that runs alongside minding?
    One of my friends, who minds term time only but also makes personalised bunting that she sells...
    I work full time, Monday - Friday and the odd Saturday and although I don't need to have another job...it made me wonder if I was to cut down on the LO's who I look after if I could make another job work alongside minding or if I'm just making hard work for myself?!
    I have done the usual when I first started to supplement my income...AVON, TBSAH etc but it doesn't make enough to give up working full time now...
    Sorry, I'm rambling now lol!!

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I work in the local shop for 7 hours a week, but hopefully the childminding will overtake that over time.

Jx

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

when i started i had 2 other jobs, then when i minded f/t i dropped one of the jobs and kept the eve/weekend job to supplement my income til i'd built up my numbers a bit.
    I'd certainly pick up a job again if my numbers dropped or i dropped a day. certainly wouldn't want to work f/t, study and have a second job - it was too much once my numbers started picking up. Also i tend to have lots of children that come for 3/4 hours a day so can have 8 children a day on a kind of rolling shift basis - means obs and paperwork is time consuming.(my ambition is to get children that come 2 or 3 days a week and come for the whole day! ) what I'm trying to say is only you know how much work you could cope with as a second job. Could be a good option if you were thinking of moving out of minding and wanted to try something out before giving up minding completely.
    I used to do usborne books - that was quite good money and with lots of parents, childminders and other contacts you could be in a good position to have a built in client base.

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont want to move away from minding...i enjoy it too much (even with the rubbish)...
    See if I were to have something else to run alongside...I could cut down to the hrs minding to what are manageable and that I want to work etc plus supplement my income if needed...
    Anyone run another at home business? I did look at usborne books...

Sarah x
    Last edited by Bumble Beez; 25-07-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I teach Archery every Sunday. I took it up when work was really low and couldn't cope financially, work has now picked up but it's a commitment to 20plus people on a regular weekly basis so it sometimes feels a bind. However, if I give up I'm sure the childminding would dry up too and its the sort of thing that's difficult to start again from scratch and build up the numbers.