Definitive list for expenses on tax return
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Definitive list for expenses on tax return

Very sorry if this is a subject that is spoken about often, but I am new to the forum. I am doing my first childminding tax return and am trying to ensure that I remember to account for everything, but have heard talk of people claiming for things like cleaner bills and car valeting and am wondering about the validity of doing this and, if so, want to make sure I include these costs. I am basically trying to find somewhere the 'holy grail' of childminder expenses and wondering if there is a good list/document anywhere that I can use. Thanks in advance for any help

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There isn't a 'definitive' list because we all work differently but you might find these 2 documents helpful -

tax information IR

expenses and tax - by Sarah

3. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Non childminder member
    Accountant
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of lists of what you can claim because the fact is you can claim almost anything that you have spent entirely for a business purpose! The list of what you can't claim is much shorter:

• Entertaining
    • Capital expenditure i.e. things that you will still be using in 12 months time (but you can claim most things like this under Annual Investment Allowance - but not buildings)
    • Anything related to motoring if you are claiming mileage (but you can claim for interior cleaning after excessive soiling e.g. vomit)
    • Anything related to your home except things covered by the up to 33%/10% concession unless you are claiming using the non-childminder rules (see many discussions about mortgage interest which you CAN claim in certain circumstances)
    • Carpet/lino (or laminate/wood flooring for a different reason), curtains, general purpose furniture (e.g. kitchen table) etc. as this is covered by the 10% wear and tear allowance

... but lists can be useful as a prompt, and the list in Sarah's guide is very good for that - although there are a couple of quirks (for instance clothing with a logo you can claim).

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for your help.