I'm a new childminder, mindee running a temp. advice please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm a new childminder, mindee running a temp. advice please

Hi all,
    I'm pretty new to childminding . I was registered in jan and have my first mindee. I would like some advice please. My mindee came today and mum told me he was running a temp last night. She was not sure if it is cause he is teething or fighting an infection. He was a bit warm when he came in but happy as usual. This was at 9 am this morning. She also said he did not have breakfast. Partly cause she was rushing but he had half a banana and milk. It is now 11.17am and he is running a temp but still seems his usual self.
    I'm unsure wat to do. Should there be a minimum temp or maximum temp before a parent is called. Or do I still take care of him even though he is running a temp causehe is not really down though he is not as active.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep an eye on it as they can go up so quickly. I had one last week with a temp of 38.9, was screaming and shivering, I sent home immediately but she was fine earlier in the day. Mum took to the GP - she had tonsillitis.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The way i see it is that it is not my job to be taking temperatures and making judgements. Thermometers are not that reliable and there are all kinds of reasons why a child may be warm. I would not take the temp of a mindee.

I look at the child- are they happy, playing? If so I would just note that they feel warm, strip off some clothes and keep an eye. If they feel really warm I would let parents know but describe how child is overall so parent can decide. If child is hot AND overly sleepy/upset/pain etc then it is a call to parents to take them home.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, then . Thank you very much for tbe advice.