Childcare register - alternative arrangements
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childcare register - alternative arrangements

I'm just going through everything to make sure I'm ready for my inspection and on reading the childcare register requirements it says I need arrangements with another provider or parent for when I cannot provide care...
    What sort of things do people have in place? When I've taken holiday I just let parent know 8 weeks beforehand so she could make alternative arrangements, I didn't suggest anything

Glitter Guest

I don't know any other minders in my area, so I don't have anyone I could ask to provide cover for me. I give parents at least 4 weeks notice for my holidays and they arrange their own cover.

I have arranged cover in case I become ill during the day. My neighbour works from home so she would come to my house and look after the children until parents could come and collect. I got a CRB done for her when I registered so I can show parents she is a safe person (the children also know her as we are always chatting over the fence when we play outside).

Ofsted said she did not know of any minders who arranged cover for themselves, but she thought it was a good idea to have someone who could take over in an emergency.

3. Likes blue bear, Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah that's fine thanks, I have emergency cover arranged (husband and mum both work nearby), I didn't realise that was what was meant, it sounded like we were expected to arrange an after school cub or another childminder if we couldn't work, and all the childminders I know are full with 5-8's

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to arrange the cover. It's frequently impractical for another CM to offer a guarantee of availability as it means tying up a place that will rarely be used, and Ofsted will not allow us to go above ratio in order to provide cover for another CM's mindee(s).

I insist parents have a 'Plan B' in place for my holidays/sickness. This is in my policies, which parents sign to agree to, and I make a point of covering it right from the outset when prospective clients come to visit.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My emergency cover has a copy of my record information sheets so if something happens to me she can contact the parents.
    Debbie