bad habit or am I just fussy
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default bad habit or am I just fussy

Hi all,
    Just want your thoughts on this. I have a 2 year old mindee whom I care for part time. I realisec like a month agoa he started touching his belly button, but 7f he had like a day suit where he could not get to it through he would put his hand through his shirt at the top thus almost slacking it. I mentioned it to mum and she said he started doing it and since it is no harm to anyone not to encourage him to stop or remove his hands. Now he has graduated to touching his willy, he would put his hands through his shorts or trousers, through his nappies and just leave his hand there. He would even walk around and do things with only one hand as the other hand is down his trousers.
    I dont like the habit personally but I also feel that it is so unhygenic as he would still touch the toys etc
    I did mention it subtly to mum and she said dad said to let him be.

How do I proceed.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would (for the time being) ignore it as you may make it worse (which is probably Dad's thinking). Try clapping games and craft activities where he needs to use both hands?

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

And trousers like dungarees so he can't touch anywhere. Just to get out of habit. Try giving toys he had to carry in his hands.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a boy thing and quite normal, but not something you want happening when they're then going to be playing with toys, or putting their hands in their mouths.

I try to discourage it by simple distraction techniques, or by saying "hands off X". I also keep a packet of wipes handy & give their hands a quick wipe over at regular intervals.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be a no in this house. When my little boy started doing it I just said 'hands out your pants'. I see grown men walking down the street doing it and I can not believe they would do such a thing in public. I would hate my son to be doing it at school.

6. Likes little chickee liked this post
    mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

My own little girl does it it just a stage they all go threw

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

The lo I have seems to have a habit of putting things between her legs, or putting them on the floor and sitting on them. And I mean things like toys, little figures etc. she also constantly makes the little people/figures into positions where they are kissing each other!

I'm guessing it's just a phase they go through.