double buggy advice??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default double buggy advice??

As of November I need a double buggy - I don't want to spend a fortune and will be looking 2nd hand but i have never used a double before and could do with some inside advice.
    whats better - side by side or tandam? I will have an 18 m/o and 1 year old so i guess it'll be pretty heavy. would also want to be able to attach a buggy board in the future in case of other young mindees. i've got a big estate so folding size isn't an essential factor. My biggest concern is i've got a dodgy shoulder so it needs to be fairly easy to turn/push.

any advice?

anna x

june 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: double buggy advice??

my double buggy is the type where 1 child is in front of the other and i now wish i had got a tamdam one. i find it really heavy up and down kurbs also if child in back is getting a bit taller the hood is not as roomy for them. this could just be the one i got ( from asda ) but if i was to get another one i would go for a side by side.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a side by side and have no probs, I find it easy to get around with, same as my single one, albeit it a tad heavier

I had tennis elbow last year and was off work for 3 months, it still flairs up now and again, so I need to watch it.. so buggy choice was important for me. Mine was one off ebay. A cosykid. Cheap and cheerful.
    Jen

Dec 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi i'm just about to buy a maclaren triumph because i have lots of steps to go up and down its light and nothing to get in the way and catch on the steps.

Important things i look for;
    light weight,
    I would prefer a long bar handle then i could steer with 1 hand incase i need to hold child's hand.
    I would only look at side by side i think its better for child to see what's going on.

Angela
    Angela x
    Owner of a static holiday caravan in Paignton

Sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Jane Powertwin. I love it! It is so light to push- can manage with one hand! You can attach a buggy board too.

it is quite heavy to pick up though!

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

i had a tandam and found it simple to use,

why i like tandam -

* easier to get in lot of shops (side by side to wide for most)
    * the children cant harrass each other as such lol
    * still got plenty room & comfy
    * like single buggy but longe,
    * i didnt find it heavy either
    * good size shopping basket

id go mother care and look at each one set up and ask push - see for self hun
    To Dare Is To Do

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi ,
    i have a twin truimph and my buggy board fits on it also. i have not used it yet with the board on but it fits ok. hope that helps you.

Sarah xxxxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I find tandem really hard to push around, especially as they get older

My advice would be to go to mothercare and try them out and then decide what is best for you
    Debbie

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Last time I minded I used a Mothercare side-by-side and it was great. I had a really heavy 2 year old when I first started and it was easy to push despite the weight difference. Only problem was it did not fit in my front door so if the children were asleep I would have to semi-collapse it to bring it in - but don't tell anyone.

My front door is wider now and I have another side-by-side for this time round

Debbie is right go to somewhere where they have lots of different ones to try so you can get a feel for what you want then look for 2nd hand

June 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Mama's and Papa's twin Beat for mindees, its easy enough to push around and looks smart, but I have to admit that I miss the middle handle (its only got two) when putting it up. Hoods have to be removed to fold - not good in the wet weather when getting in or out of buses/cars etc. The lie back mechanism is a bit weird but it does allow any position you like, you are not restricted to three. No idea about the brakes catching cos I've not used it up steps yet. Its 11 and a half kg so not lightweight as such.

My own children used a maclaren twin (side by side) and a graco side by side with solid handle. The graco was much stronger and more comfy for them but no good for buses etc, the maclaren was lightweight but the brakes did catch on steps. The maclaren also gave at the elbows after a while which the graco didn't. Graco had one hood right across but that may be different now (mine are 11 and 12)

I did have a tandem (one in front of the other) for the boys when the younger one was first born. I struggled with it for about 3 weeks before I sold it on and vowed never again!

If money was no object, I'd go for a phil and teds sport....

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have used 2 different types of tandem (one in front of the other and found both really heavy and difficult to use.

I now have a mamas & papas twin aria which i love to push, although not suitable to go in and out most shops.

Its worth to have a good shop around if you want to attach buggy board as well, quite a few don't fit them.

Hope you get sorted with one soon.

Helen

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had 3 double's - still got 2 just sold one as hubby said i'm taking over!!

I have 1 tandam & an urban detour like this:
    http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product...04041&mcb=core

TBH I really dislike tandams I find them so front heavy & really hard to get up/down kurbs (SP?). The only reason i have kept my tandam is sometimes a double side by side is to wide. My tandam is a cositto one like this mothercare one:

It is really restricted on space for teh lo in the back seat & the from seat doesn't have a recline.

I really would go to a mothercare & try some & don't forget, you can always try ebay for 2nd hand ones
    Katickles

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katickles View Post
    I have had 3 double's - still got 2 just sold one as hubby said i'm taking over!!

I have 1 tandam & an urban detour like this:

TBH I really dislike tandams I find them so front heavy & really hard to get up/down kurbs (SP?). The only reason i have kept my tandam is sometimes a double side by side is to wide. My tandam is a cositto one like this mothercare one:

It is really restricted on space for teh lo in the back seat & the from seat doesn't have a recline.

I really would go to a mothercare & try some & don't forget, you can always try ebay for 2nd hand ones
    I had that mothercare one - hated it with a vengence. Have still got it for emergencies but now have an Out N About Nipper Double and it is fab. Takes a bit of manouvering to get in my door but my shoulder pain disappeared almost overnight and has never returned.
    Annie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annie337 View Post
    I had that mothercare one - hated it with a vengence. Have still got it for emergencies but now have an Out N About Nipper Double and it is fab. Takes a bit of manouvering to get in my door but my shoulder pain disappeared almost overnight and has never returned.
    Oh Annie - why did you hate it, I love it so far
    Katickles

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Started with a tandem from freecycle, lasted a day before ordering a side by side!!!!

I have the Little Shield Meribel twin which is absolutely fine, but my dream double would be the Out n About twin nipper which you can literally push with one finger, it just was too expensive and wouldn't fit through my front door by about 5mm!!

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Annie - why did you hate it, I love it so far
    Two 2 1/2 year olds (one of which was big) and they had to take it in turns to sleep in the back, which was cramped and i found it so hard to push with them in, I was always complaining about my shoulder.
    Annie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

Two 2 1/2 year olds (one of which was big) and they had to take it in turns to sleep in the back, which was cramped and i found it so hard to push with them in, I was always complaining about my shoulder.
    Oh do you mean the tandam one? Thought you ment the urban detour one. I love that one you see!!
    Katickles

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh do you mean the tandam one? Thought you ment the urban detour one. I love that one you see!!
    Sorry - yes the mothercare tandem. Horrible thing.
    Annie x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - yes the mothercare tandem. Horrible thing.
    Yeah there really not well designed! I use it for my dd who's 17mths & she sits in the front & then when i do occasional care for a 9 mth old he goes in the back, but it's such a struggle to actually get him in/out.
    Katickles

Jan 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an In Step Nipper three wheeler also. I find it fantastic - so super light and no more wheels twisting themselves round the minute you hit an uneaven surface. Not too heavy to pick up either (which is the complaint I have heard about with the Mothercare Detour).

I guess it depends what you need you buggy to do. My list of requirements was:
    Lightweight (have bad back)
    Wanted a quite high handle (as I am quite tall)
    We love exploring in the local woods but a normall wheel size buggy couldnt cope with uneaven surface (the Nipper glides over sticks, sticky out roots, uneaven pavements)
    I have a VW Sharan and needed it to fit into minute boot space (it does this as third wheel goes in between back seats but can be very easily taken off if needs be).

The Nipper is also built to last and withstand heavy useage. Have had to have a couple of tyres replaced (punctures) but at only £7.00 a tyre that's ok with me.

You can get some good deals on ebay.