Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default unsupervised play?

hi,
    just wondered at what age would you allow the children to play in the garden or a different room unsupervised, or would you not allow this at all?

Thanks
    Sam x

0ct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: unsupervised play?

Depends on the child, the activities available,the mix of children etc etc. It would need a risk assessment done each day, nothing to do with the age of the child.

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

it would depend on the child i think - when they stop putting everything in their mouth and when they know what they are and aren't allowed to do and aren't gonna be in any danger.

i do find it silly sometimes what i do when i'm not working and just have ds at home and then how different i am with mindees - i'm so much more protective with them!! ds is almost 1 and i'd leave him alone in a different room if i needed to (but listen out and as soon as it went quiet i'd rush in as that usually means he's up to something he shouldn't be LOL!) But i wouldn't let him play in the garden alone.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I very occasionally let sensible 3 year olds play dens or something in the other room... but then I have a house full of boys just now and there's usually a shout or some silliness breaks out.

When I had a different mix of children I could let them go off at that age and play tea parties and chat in the tent.

It really does depend on the children

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I can leave my 2.5 LO for a short time, but dont dare leave the two 11 year olds alone, they get on too well and usually become overexcited, loud and do things they know they shouldnt

Aug 08
    Non childminder member
    Childminder!
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see all areas of my downstairs and garden from the playroom so the children are allowed to freely wander so long as they are physically able to. The kitchen is the only place which they are not allowed in on their own and that has a safety gate across it to prevent access.

I leave them alone out of sight for a few moments to pop to the loo or pop a child up for a nap but these are only short moments and I was told it is ridiculous to take all the children to the loo with me or all up when I'm putting a little one down as it's taking unnecessary risks on the stairs.

feb 10
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, thanks for your replies, it was mainly an 8 and 6 year old i was thinking about, they are good kids but when i have them and 3 babies in 1 room its too hectic and they always want to play outside or in the toyroom which isnt practical for us all, so its ok to try them playing alone and see how it goes?
    Thanks

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to allow my lot (most ever here is 3x2 year olds and my own 2x7 year olds) free access to downstairs but keep gates on the doors so I can limit it if need be. My garden is off my kitchen/playroom (we're a bit open plan ) so I just gate off the kitchen thereby allowing access to garden, kitchen/playroom but no further.
    I think it depends on how the children are and what they are likely to get up to tbh!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samkeddy View Post
    ok, thanks for your replies, it was mainly an 8 and 6 year old i was thinking about, they are good kids but when i have them and 3 babies in 1 room its too hectic and they always want to play outside or in the toyroom which isnt practical for us all, so its ok to try them playing alone and see how it goes?
    Thanks
    At that age, I would let them play unsupervised with an ear out for any problems. I would probably make a big thing about the fact that I am trusting them to play nicely and to behave and hope they do