Sensitive question re: little girls & skirts.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sensitive question re: little girls & skirts.

One of my mindees is 4 and a half. Mum normally dresses her in a skirt and mindee sits with her legs all over the place & her pants on show. Often her pants have slipped, so there's even more on show.

At what sort of age would you prompt her to be a bit more conscious about it?

I don't want to make her at all self conscious about it and I do think it's nice that she is still happy to sit however makes her comfortable, but I saw her in school the other day & her skirt was actually up round her waist - she was completely unaware.

My own DD always used to wear a skirt, but I don't remember it being the same with her.

Is it something they need teaching, or just something that they pick up as time goes by?

Non childminder member
    lazy bum!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sensitive question re: little girls & skirts.

my daughter is still unladylike now age 8.

best you can do really is show her how to sit with her knees together or if cross legged push her skirt into her lap.

i ask my daughter to change into trousers now as I care for school age children, boys eyes wonder!

remember its getting colder now so she will have tights on soon or trousers then maybe discuss it with parents once the weather changes again.
    Busy losing the will to live mwuahahahaha!

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Similar thing happens with my own 4 year old. I would just make a habit of adjusting her skirt for her, or pull it down with a line, let just make sure you don't get cold. They pick up on this quite quickly and start adjusting it themselves. Maybe have a word with mum, ask her to check pants are correct fit and perhaps start putting her in tights, mum might be oblivious to it herself.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

My 21 yo niece is still the same!
    Ali xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like her knickers are too big if everything is on view. I would probably mention it to mum in a jokey way.
    A few months ago I was at toddlers with my 4 yr old mindee when she did something acrobatic and I realised she had no knickers on at all Luckily I had some spares in my bag!! When I asked her why she had no knickers on she said 'they fell off of course' with a raise of the eyebrows as if to say 'are you stupid or what?' She'd left the knickers on my bathroom floor just before we left to go out.
    In cloud cuckoo land somewhere

Post Thanks / Like

I have two daughters one 4 and one nearly 6. They both wear skirts and dresses and nighties and we just encourage them to sit with their legs together keep their skirts down.

We have to remind them a lot but sometimes they remember!
    Little Miss Chatterbox xx

Post Thanks / Like

I just remind dd (4) to pull her skirt down but don't make a big deal of it.

I still forget on the odd occasion when I wear a skirt

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Its rather sad that we are worried about a little girl flashing what ever happened to childhood and innocence. Mind you, i was a Tom Boy and mum had to teach me to be ladylike once i start my periods- i didnt have a clue or cared

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
    Sounds like her knickers are too big if everything is on view. I would probably mention it to mum in a jokey way.
    A few months ago I was at toddlers with my 4 yr old mindee when she did something acrobatic and I realised she had no knickers on at all Luckily I had some spares in my bag!! When I asked her why she had no knickers on she said 'they fell off of course' with a raise of the eyebrows as if to say 'are you stupid or what?' She'd left the knickers on my bathroom floor just before we left to go out.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alibali View Post
    My 21 yo niece is still the same!
    Georgina x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.

I will mention to mum that lo's knickers seem too big. Thinking about it, it wouldn't be so much of a problem if they actually fitted properly. Just being able to see her knickers isn't such a bad thing.

I think mum would actually be grateful to have it pointed out as she'd hate to think of her little girl being on show.