Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Was I right???

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Was I right???

Just had school ring up. They told me that I am first point of call cos mum works, can I collect a mindie cos he wasnt well. If I go and get him by the time I have got the two LO's sorted, we would come home and then back again for the rest of the schoolies.

I told them to ring mum. Got a feeling she wont collect and he will still be there at 3 for me to get and bring home with the rest. What should I do
    Last edited by caz3007; 16-02-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely if hes not well enough to be in school hes not well enough to be with you?

I would contact mum & insist she collects him.

I sympathise with parents working & finding it difficult to leave work - but their poor kids. I cannot imagine having to rely on someone else to pick up my child if they are ill & sent home from school.
    Sarah

oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If the child is ill, it is not your responsibility to collect the child, if parent complains quote your sickness policy.
    I had this once the school called me to say could i collect, i kindly informed them that as they were sending the child in question home due to sickness, why would they think that i would want them as i would only call the parent to collect from me.

Apr10
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have said the same.I also make sure I am not the 1st point of call when a child is ill.That's the parents responsibility.If the child is not well enough for school then they shouldn't be with me.All my parents know that their children are their responsibility during school hours including if the school needs to close.They then have to ask if I have spaces available and not just presume I'm going to collect and keep their children.Keeps things simple.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I just rang mum and she is Latvian and runs her own business. She said she is too busy to talk to me and will call me in an hour. Eerrr thats when the school will be coming out more or less. I think I will have to sort this out with her and tell her its not on. Changes to my sickness policy I think to make sure she understands

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Mum was at the school at 3. But between them phoning and her collecting, he had vomited, according to another after schoolie in his class, 3 times. I did suspect as the school told me he had a headache and thats how it started with my DS a couple of weeks ago.

School werent impressed, I dont think. But think it was a cheek to be honest them ringing me cos mum is at work!!!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You did the right thing. Thank goodness mum made it to the school!

jul 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you def did the right thing!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank goodness you didn't go and collect him - he would have been sick with you!
    Georgina x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    Mum was at the school at 3. But between them phoning and her collecting, he had vomited, according to another after schoolie in his class, 3 times. I did suspect as the school told me he had a headache and thats how it started with my DS a couple of weeks ago.

School werent impressed, I dont think. But think it was a cheek to be honest them ringing me cos mum is at work!!!
    Why was it cheeky of the school to ring if you are down as first point of call - surely thats the point of you being first. You need to be taken off if you dont want the school ringing you everytime the child is ill
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Why was it cheeky of the school to ring if you are down as first point of call - surely thats the point of you being first. You need to be taken off if you dont want the school ringing you everytime the child is ill
    I didnt know I was the first point of call. Only collect the child. I will let the office know that they are to ring mum. I didnt put it right in the first post. Surely though the school should ring the parents first, its not down the CM to collect a sick child. They told me they rang me cos mum was at work.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    I didnt know I was the first point of call. Only collect the child. I will let the office know that they are to ring mum. I didnt put it right in the first post. Surely though the school should ring the parents first, its not down the CM to collect a sick child. They told me they rang me cos mum was at work.
    Thats very cheeky of the mum to have put you down without asking - definetly tell the school tomorrow.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Thats very cheeky of the mum to have put you down without asking - definetly tell the school tomorrow.
    I will be, dont you worry

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, especially as YOU are at work too!!!!!!!!
    Marnie x

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have any daytime children so am happy to be the first point of call for sick children to be collected - I can be there in a few mins wheras most of my parents are over an hour away.

However, school ringing to say the child is sick doesn't always mean that they are! On more than one occasion I have collected children - including my own - because they have this that or the other only to find that thye are absolutely fine once we are home Last week I went to pick up a 6 year old who was "very unwell and very hot"! He had a bad cough (one that he had had for weeks following a cold) and he wasn't even hot to touch let alone when i checked with the thermometer when i got back, He said he had been hot and sweaty (and coughing) because he had been playing running games with his friends.

My own son twigged relatively early on that if he said he had a headache and put on a soulful face that I would be called to collect him!!!

I collect the child and then make the decision as to whether I think the parent needs to collect or not. More often than not they are simply a bit under the weather and stay with me till parent finishes work.