Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Handwritten SEF

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Handwritten SEF

Just been wondering if I'm the only person in the world doing the SEF in longhand? I'm about half way through (in rough!) and it's driving me round the bend after having spent the last 2 whole weekends on it, but I'm now wondering about the problems I'm going to have as and when I have to update it if I don't do it online!! anyone else in the same boat?

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have written mine out in longhand first and cross referenced stuff from one section to another. I am now in the middle of typing it up on Word then hopefully it will just be a matter of copy n paste into the online form.

Post Thanks / Like

I did mine in longhand and then downloaded the sef and typed it up.

I am useless at typing straight onto the computer - I need to see things written down but it did take much longer that way.

The further you get into it the more you can x-ref, don't repeat yourself just say where you have covered the topic - that will save time.

Now to update I just put the date in the section and whatever I've done so that is not too bad.

Good luck

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I work the same way as Miffy with updating - I leave the body of the SEF intact and add new information at the bottom with a date

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your tips...so true Miffy!-I have to have it all written down (with numerous crossings out!) before doing any typing up...old habits die hard!
    This is my first SEF (not been minding long) and I'm hoping to break the back of it this week as I'm way behind with everything else now ! Thanks for all your advice ladies..what I might do is type it all up later when I've got over the trauma of it ( I've got a letter with the OST so should be fairly straightforward?!).
    I must also just say that this forum has been and continues to be INVALUABLE and I'm going to be mentioning it in the SEF as a source of inspiration...it's comforting to know that someone somewhere will have had the same thoughts as you at some point even if they seem a bit daft at the time!( the thoughts, not the people, that is!) x

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use the online SEF - I have a SEF folder which I write in and keep all my reflective statements in I link it to all the area's and show evidence supporting what I do. Its a working document I use it all the time and when Ofsted come they can see my brain dump all there in black and white, with supporting photo's etc.

I did the online SEF once it took me hours and hours and hours - and the only person to see it was Ofsted. I'd rather spend those hours with my family and show Ofsted something just as good.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I hand write my sef, as I reflect and make changes I jot these down on post it notes with the date and pop them down the side of the relevant section. I find this easier as it shows how my practice is developing.

Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re Handwritten SEF

Well it's nearing the end of another weekend and guess what? I still haven't finished it (although I've really tried in between decorating daughter's room, cooking, cleaning,tearing my hair out, etc etc), but thank you all so much for sharing your ideas...will see what next weekend brings (hopefully a completed SEF!) X