Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    jan o1
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question other ways to self evaluate

Hi,i have had a call from ofsted and got a date for my inspection,the problem is i am only half way through my sef and not really sure its the best way for me as i have been trying to get to grips with it for months what other ways are there to self evaluate?if anyone else out there does not do the ofsted one what do they do?my inspector did not mention it at all and i only look after before and after schoolies but still do eyfs on one child whos four and in reception.
    would be really grateful for any ideas to help me self evaluate without the complicated forms!

Post Thanks / Like

Just look at things you've done and why you do them that way or if you've changed things how and why did you do so and make a few notes.

If you've been on courses then how have they helped you - what changes have you made because of the course or what ideas has it given you.

If you've had feedback from parents (even a casual chat) that has made you alter something then make a note of it.

I hated filling in my sef but I do think it makes you look at what you do and why you do it. If you're finding it tough going then I'd recommend Sarah's ebook - so much easier to understand and packed with lots of ideas to help you.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

jan o1
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks miffy i actually have got sarahs e-book and it did help but i just seem to be getting bogged down by it all and going over things or having to go back and check things i may have written already,sooooo time consuming!inspector wants to come at 1pm even though i wont have any children till 3.30(she was aware if this)what will we talk about for 2 hours

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like she's going to go through all the paperwork first then do her observations when you've collected from school - don't worry, I'm sure you'll have plenty of paperwork to keep her busy!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i found it hard but also i realised as i did it there were gaps in my learning even though i've been minding before starting it.
    If you don't understand the info required do you need to reseach that first?

it is a rubbish and uninspiring format to work with.
    I'm not confidint enough to work outside the box!

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a reflective journal that i write notes in about something new i have just found out re childcare etc, record substance of meetings with CDW and other agencies, such as PCT, HV and NHS. i put in copies of app forms for training courses and record how relevant or useful it was for me and what changes i will implement as a result of a course i have been on. i record data i've got from getting opinions from parents on things such as whether to get a puppy or not, are they happy with changes to the menu, fee increases etc. i then have a booklet of EYFS audits that i do every 6 months. the audit comes under 5 headings: securing high quality environments for learning, supporting progress and learning, strengthening leadership for learning, developing practitioner learning and facilitating partnerships for learning. i consider the impact of each upon the L&D of the children. the whole thing is just 5 pages long. i also consider the impact of particular areas of provision. at the moment i am looking at starting points for using ICT in the outdoor learning environment because i have recently enhanced my outdoor spaces and we're just settling into it. i consider several things some of which are:what resources will i use, what will i do and what will the children do, how will i monitor and assess it, how will i build it into my planning and what area of learning will this develop.
    it might sound a lot but doing it in various little chunks like this makes it far less daunting than the SEF for me and it makes it more interesting because i am using lots of diff methods of reflection.
    my last inspector was impressed with my methods but whether the next one will is another matter but i am certainly not fixing what aint broken.

MAY 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i am half way through my sef and due my inspection, but i was told as long as we have written evidence that we are reviewing our practive then you dont need to have the sef done, i do questionnaires every 6 months which are then reviewed on another piece of paper which are all stored in one folder to show that i am forcused on evaulating what i do and what others think, you need to find a way that works for you, xxxx
    jen xx mum of two and one on the way,
    always on the go!!!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i've recently started doing a weekly evaluation. Its simple, constantly evolving and works for me and I dont feel I have to waste large chunks of time on the ofsted SEF. I have devised a form I use, and just jot things down as I go through the week

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate SEF. Refuse to do it, but know I need to do self reflection in other ways

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

then don't do SEF. the NCMA used to have a self reflection toolkit that you could download. have a look in their members area and see if it is still in there. it was designed to help you to reflect BEFORE you fill in the SEF but i thought it looked ok as a stand-alone reflective tool tbh. i used to have a copy from a workshop i attended but as i didn't use it myself i don't know what i did with it. must have gotten it about 5 yrs ago mind

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Marleymoo I like your headings
    I don't do the OFSTED SEF form either, I have a Professional Development file that I write EVERYTHING in, from new resources that I have bought and why, paperwork I have developed and why, research and training I have done and how I have implemented it into my practice, a wish list and ideas for the future and why, parent and child questionaires and how I have responded , changes to my setting and why etc. I also consider the ECM outcomes when evaluating .
    It's great to look back on and certainly is a "working document" and i think it will show OFSTED what I do even though there is alot of handwritten notes and copies of stuff I might use or adapt.
    Carol xx

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

yes i have a folder too where i cut out things from mags, newspapers, websites etc for things i want to develop or ideas i've seen and want to pinch but can't put into my folders anywhere yet because they are undeveloped ideas and sometimes may be more of a dream list than a wish list because whilst i'd love to have them it's unlikely due to funding. as i manage to achieve one, it comes out of the folder because it's become a reality. but for everything i take out, 5 new ones go back in! aargh... but this in itself is reflective practice as it demonstrates a willingness to move on and not rest on our laurels.

jan o1
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for replies everyone still not sure what method i will use but have got alternatives now thanks to you all.
    xxx

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

i like learning from my peers but do you know what makes me feel really guilty? it's when i've learned a lesson from something a CM has been marked down on in their Ofsted report. it's coz it's usually something so simple - an oversight any one of us could make. it's more sickening when it makes the difference between good and outstanding.

jan o1
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Marleymoo i have learnt a lot since joining on here and i would love a good grade this time!i have been minding for ten years and my first two grades were good but then they moved the goalposts and my last inspection resulted in satisfactory and i was shocked because i wasnt doing less in fact i was doing more as i went along because its natural to learn things as you go along but my downfall was no evidence of all the good work i had been doing,all my parents were very suprised too and still said i was the only childminder they would choose in my area and i have always been the busiest too so i was doing a good job its just a shame some of us struggle with paperwork and get graded down as a result BUT this is now my time to shine and im determined to get back to a good if i have to lock the inspector in till she agrees
    xx

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

you know, i did an interview with a childcare mag i 2006 about "being outstanding". they followed it up in 2009 when i got outstanding again but that article had a slightly different angle. the first one was a celebration because outstanding had just been introduced, but the second one highlighted what a curse it could be. i can tell you in all honesty, that since my last inspection in 2009 i have been getting ready for my next one in 2012 and it's not because i am an outstanding CM, it's because i'm scared NOT to get it next time. can you imagine the gossip? so, don't be too concerned about the grades, your parents' opinion matters more than anything. and who the hell ever reads your report anyway other than other CM's?

jan o1
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree it matters to me what the parents think much more than ofsted but it just irritates me when there are others out there who get graded good but only because they know which hoops to jump through and are in the know about stuff ofsted want to see rather than how we actually care for the children anyway we will see but i am hoping that im doing enough now to show them.i can only guess at the pressure you outstanding childminders are under but i have to say i dont think i could cope with the title(which is just as well cos that will never happen to me lol)thanks for your help its like having proper friends who get you on here xx

Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

some ppl really can walk the walk and talk the talk

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marleymoo View Post
    you know, i did an interview with a childcare mag i 2006 about "being outstanding". they followed it up in 2009 when i got outstanding again but that article had a slightly different angle. the first one was a celebration because outstanding had just been introduced, but the second one highlighted what a curse it could be. i can tell you in all honesty, that since my last inspection in 2009 i have been getting ready for my next one in 2012 and it's not because i am an outstanding CM, it's because i'm scared NOT to get it next time. can you imagine the gossip? so, don't be too concerned about the grades, your parents' opinion matters more than anything. and who the hell ever reads your report anyway other than other CM's?
    I'm in the same situation as you marleymoo, twice outstanding and bricking it!
    Carol xx

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol M View Post
    I'm in the same situation as you marleymoo, twice outstanding and bricking it!
    Carol xx
    Carol M and MarleyMoo, i have nothing like that and hadn't even thought of it!! Can see there one big difference between my good and your outstanding.

With proper application following EYFS is doable for anyone but your methods of self reflection and ongoing processing of your buisness is inspiring.

Marlymoo if you don't mind can i use your headings to work on myself.
    I am used to someone evaluting me but not great at self development on paper.

Gonna open word and write some ideas up now, scrap book of ongoing equiptment and craft ideas, evaluating my parent evaluations and the rest.
    V inspiring!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast