other ways to self evaluate
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Penny1959 Guest

I do similar to Marleymoo and Carol M

I DO NOT DO THE OFSTED SEF - and I told the inspector that I would not be doing it in the future. The inspector thought my system was rigorous, reflective, monitoring of my provision to ensure continued improvement.

My inspection was more recent in Oct 10 and was my first graded inspection - I was very worried that would not get outstanding just because it was my first one - but also because for the previous 7 years I had worked for NCMA and LA - advising people on their practice and supporting professional development - talk about pressure - all those people (including ex colleagues) waiting to see if I practiced what I preached!

Penny

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have read this thread with interest and though I would add my view.

I use the Ofsted SEF and I always recommend others do too.

Not because it's a good document - because, frankly, I think it's repetitive and not particularly well written.

I use it (and recommend it) because it is there.

AND because a good Ofsted inspector will read it before they come to visit (like mine did) and will use it to form an opinion of the provision which they can then work from to check everything is as it should be.

I think if people (including me tbh) go off making their own self evaluations they will probably not remember to do it and months will go by without anything getting done.

It's hard enough keeping up-to-date with the day to day stuff without dedicating hours to writing your own self evaluation document, reviewing it regularly, knowing what questions to write and what focus to use etc...

Childminders come from all walks of life and some hate paperwork. A childminder friend of mine has dyslexia and struggles with her documentation but, with help, has put together a SEF and now adds little bits to it when she changes her way of working. No way could she have written her own self evaluation document.

At least the SEF (love it or hate it) is already written and, once the initial information has been put in, it is easy to review and update

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

i do agree with Sarah, however, i come from a legal background, where CPPD and self-evaluation as a law practitioner was essential. being a reflective practitioner was then emphasised with NCMA training and then on my PGCE/Cert Ed so it's something i've always done. the reflective models i use are generic to all different types of employment sectors, afterall, the process is the same. the way i have drafted my paperwork means that i get to self evaluate across just 5 pages rather than dozens, so it actully reduces my workload. the other bits i do are informal mind-maps. i simply put a note in my diary when the next one is due, pull out the file, and do the next 5 pages.
    the more i delivered training on the SEF, the more i hated the document. i could just see the learners' eyes glazing over and i couldn't blame them. i have to say, however, at my last 2 inspections, when i got outstanding for both, i only used a reflective journal - that's it. the SEF, afterall, is not compulsory, so if you can find an easier way to self reflect then don't be afraid not to, any way is better than no way at all. i just know that lots of you out there look at the SEF and then do everything you can to avoid filling it in, come back to it later, feel the same way again and just get fed up. been there done that and yes i've got the tshirt lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12