Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Confidentiality in SEF

Hi

This maybe one of those "newbie" dim questions, but on the basis that no question is a silly one, here I go!!

I currently mind two EYFS children from the same family - and that's it... so when I'm using examples to demonstrate my good points in my SEF it's going to be totally obvious who I'm refering to, even if I never use a name or initial... sometimes the good points have come about because I've noted an "issue" with one of the children and have worked to address this.

So question one is "How much can you say in a SEF" and question two is "Who can see it?" For example, I introduced a pictoral weekly menu because one child is soooo fussy and we wanted to take the battle away by making it not up for discussion... not an issue, but the parents may feel I'm a bit cheeky to use this information in this way? I could try to make all the comments unattributable to the minded children - it could after all, be one of my own I'm talking about, but that feels dishonest...

Or maybe I'm tying myself up in some uncessary knots here?

Any help / guidance very much appreciated! Thank you

Messy (and in a muddle!) but still very Happy!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad you are happy!

I don't mention children in my SEF - just 'a child' or 'a parent' or 'a family'...

In Ljs if I am talking about my own child I say 'with Stephen - my son' or another child - 'with another child' or sibling - 'with John, his brother'...

A childminder a while ago was pulled up on it because she'd mentioned her own child in a LJ the inspector said she 'might' mention another child and that would be a confidentiality issue

Blumming ridiculous if you ask me - parents want to know who their children have played with and the names of their friends - and the children are going to tell them anyway

Off my soap box now!

Hope that helps

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you!

That's two great tips, I shall do both those things - and maybe even use them as a demonstration of my reflective practice!!!

My obs have definately included mention of both the minded children's siblings, and my own children, but in future I'll be careful to explain their relationships as you've suggested.

It's no wonder people say the paperwork gets them down - it's not just the amount, it the pc'ness of it all, there are so many potential traps to fall into...

Hey ho, off to sort out one muddle now,

Thank you again,

Messy

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Glad you are happy!

I don't mention children in my SEF - just 'a child' or 'a parent' or 'a family'...

In Ljs if I am talking about my own child I say 'with Stephen - my son' or another child - 'with another child' or sibling - 'with John, his brother'...

A childminder a while ago was pulled up on it because she'd mentioned her own child in a LJ the inspector said she 'might' mention another child and that would be a confidentiality issue

Blumming ridiculous if you ask me - parents want to know who their children have played with and the names of their friends - and the children are going to tell them anyway

Off my soap box now!

Hope that helps

In my last inspection there was nothing said about the fact that my obs referred to a 2nd child by name in several of them. Possibly different Inspector different thinking?

With my current los all 3 are from families who all know each other really well and have been friends for longer than I've had the children. When I did a Photo Permission form for each of them I included a section saying did any of them object to my using photos which included the other children *****minded, for my LJ's, scrapbook to show activities I do to new parents, web page (if I ever get round to it) ********* photo gallery and the regularly updated CD's of photos I do for the parents every term. They all agreed and love the photos of all of them playing together.
    When I do the Daily Diaries I write down what each child did, but include funny/interesting bits that may have involved one of the other los too -" D fell over trying to use the skipping rope and E ran to pick them up and rub it better before I could put baby down."
    The parents love the insight it gives them as to the relationship between the children as well as me. I f they don't have a problem with it, and have signed it off, will Ofsted still see it as a problem?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilac_dragon View Post
    I f they don't have a problem with it, and have signed it off, will Ofsted still see it as a problem?

I remember the occasion of the 'mentioning other children in LJs' really well because the member on here was so upset and cross afterwards - she hadn't actually mentioned another child just her own - but the inspector wouldn't let it drop and mentioned confidentiality all through her report

As you said yourself lilac_dragon - every inspector looks for different things. All we can do is make people aware that this is something that has been picked up during an inspection.

It is then up to the individual childminder to decide what to do for the best

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is awkward as two children adore each other and call the other 'my maddie' and 'my hector (names changed!)
    As they are both very slow late speakers this was wow moments for both.
    If I get parents permission can I put the names in each others book?
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I remember the occasion of the 'mentioning other children in LJs' really well because the member on here was so upset and cross afterwards - she hadn't actually mentioned another child just her own - but the inspector wouldn't let it drop and mentioned confidentiality all through her report

As you said yourself lilac_dragon - every inspector looks for different things. All we can do is make people aware that this is something that has been picked up during an inspection.

It is then up to the individual childminder to decide what to do for the best
    Thank you Sarah, I appreciate your views, you always talk sense!

I'm now unsure what to do, and that makes me cross!!
    A large part of me wants to say that by signing the form, the parents have waived their confidentiality, and they understand that, and don't have a problem with it, and as it's their children they have that right and ofsted should respect that right.
    If a parent didn't want to have shared photos, LJ's or Obs then I'd respect their right to say No

A much smaller part of me says that if Osted want to argue over that I'm quite prepared to defend it, and would even go so far as to bring the parents into it, I think they would challenge that type of attitude which is undermining their control of their children!

More and more I'm beginning to think "do I actually care anymore what Ofsted say? My reputation is and has been very good for 28 years, my parents and the children I look after think I'm Outstanding no matter that Ofsted consider me to be Good. The children I've looked after have all done really well with their lives, and are happy, well rounded, intelligent people. Some of them have left, had babies, and brought their babies to me to look after as they enjoyed their time with me so much and they trust me.
    I have to accept that Ofsted have control of my working life and are allowed to make whatever comments they like regardless of what the parents think or say - or sign!
    Maybe it's time to fight back?

Vive la Revolution!

8. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. For those of you that remember BS5750 - Ofsted remind me of them. It seems more about playing the Ofsted game than about the children. But then I'm an old cynic!