Do I need to do a SEF?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I need to do a SEF?

I am just starting out (awaiting certificate) and have found some paperwork saying either do SEF online or ring for a hard copy.

My question is, do I really need to do this SEF? seeing as things are changing in Sept, will this change and I have read that people do their own self evaluation, how do you do this? Is it adding a box onto planning and journals, daily diaries etc to say what you could do differently or better etc? or is it a separate form to evaluate your day about what you have done and what could be improved like paperwork and routines?

Hope that sounds ok as reading it back sounds muddled

Angela

Penny1959 Guest

You do not have to do the Ofsted online SEF - however Ofsted like it if you do - and lots of people find it helps to have something in writting for the inspector to read before the inspection.

I personally do not do a Ofsted SEF - as I find it does not meet my needs.

The bottom line is you MUST do some sort of self evaluation - and best in writing.

I have bits in my diary, on my what we did sheet (don't do written pre planning) and in children's diaries - I then bring it all together onto one form once a month - this is what I show Ofsted

Hope that gives you some ideas - and reasons why you might find the Ofsted one better for you.

Penny

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never done a Sef either. I was inspected in Sept last year and the Inspector wasn't bothered.

However as Penny has said you do have to show how you reflect on your business.

Again like Penny I do no pre planning except I do have a folder divided into 12 months which I list all the festivals etcand have sheets with details of things I have done, how they worked and how I would change them.

I also do a sheet every so often which lists what I have done how and why I may or may not change it.

I also have a comprehensive training file which shows how I go on training in different areas to add to and extend my skills.

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies, will read the questions of the SEF and see if I can do my own as I am doing my apprenticeship level 3 in CYPW and feel the questions are daunting with all this cramming in I have to do.

I know it makes their inspection easier, and maybe shorter, but feel I can be myself through being verbal than down on paper lol.

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.

(runs off for more reading to do)

Angela