Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kitchen cupboard locks

Can anyone tell me the best type to buy. I have stick on ones but they are awful and so hard to close and open.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I can't help as I don't have any myself.

Which ones do you have?

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I have stick on ones that stick to the outside of the doors but they are awful and far too hard to close and open . X

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use them. Children are taught not to open cupboards. Chemicals and knives kept out of reach. I have screw-on plastic ones inside the cupboards that you can rotate to turn on or off, you open by pushing with a finger in the gap when you open the cupboard. I have them there in case any visitor or new child likes to go into cupboards!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got some white plastic ones that look like a big safety pin. You just kind of wrap them around your handles and can take them off quickly when not minding. I didn't want anything permanent as had just had a new kitchen when I started minding. We got them from Tesco. Don't use them anymore though as like someone else said, children are taught not to use them and are never unsupervised in the kitchen anyway.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just have one: a magnetic one with mechanism inside and magnetic 'key' that you swipe outside and it opens, so nothing unsightly.
    I like to keep my utility under sink locked as a precaution, although the children are never in kitchen/ utility on their own I am a bit of a H&S freak, so do everything by the book. children have access to other cupboards as nothing in that would harm, they get out equipment in prep for baking and cooking.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just going through my childmind ing course... You mentioned knife blocks floradora we were told the other day that some ofsted insist on them being up high & pushing them to the back of the unit isn't enough. Has anyone found this, do you only need cupboard locks on utility cupboards keeping chemicals out of the way. I haven't got anywhere high to put them but have a cupboard that will have a lock & the couch is in front of so inaccessible...would this be ok do you think? Tia

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never used kitchen locks. I also have never placed "kitchen cleaning stuff" under the sink, has always gone into a high cupboard.

I do if needed put a stair gate on the kitchen, more so when I'm cooking the little crawlers don't go near the cooker

I have a knife block out which is pushed back and never been an issue (had an inspection end of April this year xx)

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dots View Post
    I'm just going through my childmind ing course... You mentioned knife blocks floradora we were told the other day that some ofsted insist on them being up high & pushing them to the back of the unit isn't enough. Has anyone found this, do you only need cupboard locks on utility cupboards keeping chemicals out of the way. I haven't got anywhere high to put them but have a cupboard that will have a lock & the couch is in front of so inaccessible...would this be ok do you think? Tia
    Knife blocks???
    Did I mention this in another thread??

My usual knife storage is on the wall in the kitchen but for when the children are here we have fitted a magnetic knife strip inside a high cupboard door and we move them to there. We love cooking and I work less days than I don't so it's just one of those rthings I move on a Wednesday night to restore the house back to non business where it is conveniently placed for us.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dots View Post
    If it helps my kitchen cleaning products etc are in the bottom of my larder, with a hook and eye fastening and the kitchen door wedged up against it. My knife block is on my kitchen windowsill with the drainer in front of it, even I struggle to reach it lol.

LO's arent allowed into my kitchen unless Im there. Its also too small to use for any activities.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry flora Dora, I thought I'd seen it written in this thread, reading back I must have dreamt it! I was reading this quite early this morning. Sorry x

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I got some white plastic ones that look like a big safety pin. You just kind of wrap them around your handles and can take them off quickly when not minding. I didn't want anything permanent as had just had a new kitchen when I started minding. We got them from Tesco. Don't use them anymore though as like someone else said, children are taught not to use them and are never unsupervised in the kitchen anyway.
    Oh that sounds good and better than what I have, i thought kitchen locks was something you had to have? I don't have anything that a child can get in my cupboards either but thought i had to have them regardless.
    thanks