How to do level 3 in Scotland?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to do level 3 in Scotland?

Has anyone done a level 3 in early years education in Scotland? Is it called that in SCotland? Obviously I am in SCotland and have been googling for a couple of months. I can see the open uni do a few courses but I really want what use to be an HNC in early years education or equivalent. I don't want to go to college to get it. Preferably I would like to do it long distance or part time evenings at a push. I realise i would need an assessor for some of it.

I want to try and get this so as I have other options in a few years time, probably work in a nursery. I can't afford to go to college full time or even part time during the day. Any suggestions?

I think from reading of this site our English counterparts seem to be doing level 3's studying from home? I am happy to stand corrected and for any info you can all give me. Thanks.

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I am in Scotland and am currently doing my svq level 3 in children's care learning and development. I am sure this qualification is the equiv to an hnc and it does allow you to work as a practitioner.

I managed to get funding to do it and only paid £150 towards the course and had £1000 paid for me. I am doing it through a company called q train limited in edinburgh but think they have a Glasgow office too. They helped me with funding forms etc. I do most of my assessments online and have also had my assessor out to my home to assess me at work a few times too.

I am about 70% through the course and started it in August - hoping to complete it in next few months,

X

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Scottishlas. I've been on holiday so apologies for late reply. I am going to contact the company you are doing the course with and see if they think I would be suitable. Sounds ideal as I can't commit to night classes as my husband works away alot and no babysitter.

Scottishlass - have you been childminding full time whilst doing the course? How many hours would you say you have to give up a week for the course? Thanks.

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi trickiedickie

Fingers crossed that will work out for you! I really would have struggled to go to a regular night class too so was perfect for me.

I would say they send me 1 sometimes 2 assessments a month and give me a month to complete them. It does take a good 2-4 hours at least for each one but as you have plenty time to do them it's easier. I have been working full time at the same time so mostly end up found mine on a Friday/Safurday night as am too tired at night through the week!

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Those hours would be ok. When I phone I will let them know that ideally I would only like to commit to 4 hours a month and see what they think. Thanks again.

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I found my induction folder and it says on it allow 2-3 hours per week although I only did that much on the weeks my assessments were due or had an observation x

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I will give them a phone now. I'll let you know how I get on.