Sleeping Baby Position forms
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sleeping Baby Position forms

Hi has anyone had to do a Sleeping Baby Position form? My inspector has told me that I have to get the parents to sign a form to say they either allow me to put their baby to sleep as I adopt a policy of practice recommended by the Cot Death Society, eg. put baby to sleep on their back, at the bottom of the cot, but she said some parents will not accept this and some would rather me put their baby to sleep in a different position! Does anyone know how I can obtain one of these permission forms. Thank you

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s.law View Post
    Hi has anyone had to do a Sleeping Baby Position form? My inspector has told me that I have to get the parents to sign a form to say they either allow me to put their baby to sleep as I adopt a policy of practice recommended by the Cot Death Society, eg. put baby to sleep on their back, at the bottom of the cot, but she said some parents will not accept this and some would rather me put their baby to sleep in a different position! Does anyone know how I can obtain one of these permission forms. Thank you
    Never heard of it needing to be permission!! Once they roll over then normal sleeping position I see is butts in the air haha!!

Hmm

3. Likes lisbet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of forms as such but I did look after a baby who had mild respiratory problems and so I had to keep a signed letter from parent and doctor about sleeping on their back.

Could you not perhaps write something up in your policies for small babies? I'm sure that would suffice xx

5. Likes lurpak liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No, not heard of having to do a form.

Although when children start with me they are usually 6months+ and can roll over.

Not had one smaller than 6months and he slept in the buggy because he only went to sleep with his milk
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    No, not heard of having to do a form.

Although when children start with me they are usually 6months+ and can roll over.

Not had one smaller than 6months and he slept in the buggy because he only went to sleep with his milk
    I agree, never heard of a form like this!- and I can not see the point of creating more paper work.

If you actually had a tiny baby on your books then you would discuss sleeping plans with parent. Once they can turn over and wriggle up and down cot then any 'forms' you have filled in go straight out the window anyway!

I can only see an issue IF you had a little baby and IF the parent insisted baby liked to be put to bed on his tummy. But then you would have to discuss SIDS latest information and decide what you are prepared to do. If you feel it is something you should not be doing and you can not come to an agreement with parents then don't take on the child. BUT that is an awful lot of 'ifs' and very very unlikely to ever arise in your normal CM business. Not worth making a 'form' for.

8. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't think I have ever had a parent ask how I put a baby to sleep. I put them at the foot of the bed on there back automatically. If they can move they are welcome to do so. All children have been fine with this as for parents as long as there children are happy the don't seem bothered. Just sounds like pare work for the sake of paperwork.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's different in Scotland - I hope someone can help you soon - I never ask the parents what position they put babies in, obviously I ask them about comfort objects etc but other than that I just do it my way!

11. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there I'm in Scotland and just registered in september 2013. When registering I was asked if I knew about the correct position for a baby sleeping. They never mentioned anything about getting forms signed. They did give me a copy of the correction sleeping position and advised that we use good practice ensuring that they are put in the correct position. Sorry I can not help

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in Scotland too and registered in oct 12 and have never been asked for anything like this xx

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I live in south Ayrshire. Last year we went to a training night with the cot death trust.
    If you go to their website they give you the protocol how a baby should be place in a cot and where in the room you should place baby. Hope this is of help.:-)