Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 10
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the list Sarah thats a great help, on holiday now for two weeks so going to get it all sorted.

One question that comes to mind. Do we have to have an official accident / injury form. I had one when i started but just found it extra paperwork so now i have a note book, the type with the blue copy paper in it, so i can keep a copy and give a copy to parents of any letters / reports i write. I write any accident / incident up in here as it happens and get parents to sign both copies. Mine then stay in the book.

Can i continue doing this and write up any physical intervention in here as well.
    It is working well and all my parents are happy with it

Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean cc View Post
    Thanks for the list Sarah thats a great help, on holiday now for two weeks so going to get it all sorted.

One question that comes to mind. Do we have to have an official accident / injury form. I had one when i started but just found it extra paperwork so now i have a note book, the type with the blue copy paper in it, so i can keep a copy and give a copy to parents of any letters / reports i write. I write any accident / incident up in here as it happens and get parents to sign both copies. Mine then stay in the book.

Can i continue doing this and write up any physical intervention in here as well.
    It is working well and all my parents are happy with it

Thanks
    You do not have to have an 'official' anything - it's about making sure the documentation you have meets current requirements, informs parents, stands up if there is a complaint or injury which needs reporting to insurance / RIDDOR etc.

You also need to be careful about confidentiality - making sure parents cannot flick through the book and see who has had accidents etc.

Hope this helps

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the to-do list Sarah - I can tick some things off but some are new to me. Not long now so will make a start.

Sandy
    Sandy
    xx

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you sooooooo much xx

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for the list. Just a couple of questions.
    With regards to amending our Safeguarding policy, we work with the one from our LA and are required to use that one. Are we permitted to amend that in anyway or should we write another one to run alongside it? Tbh, I still use my original policy and run it alongside the LA one but not sure of the requirements.
    Also, with regards to our policies and procedures, I am happy with mine but wondered if anyone else had any ideas of how to present them to work inline with the new EYFS.
    Just about to re-write contracts with effect from September, especially as hours are changing anyway so it all works out.
    My parents receive their children's LJ's every six to eight weeks and I do ask for feedback from them (not that I usually get it from one of the families) and I also write newsletters ensuring that parents are aware of my planning so that they can continue our themes at home.
    Hoping all is going to work itself out in time!!!
    x
    Mrs.M x

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As always your a star just what we needed a simple list of changes we need to do although I have always had a physical intervention form for when i have had to use physical force to more a child or prevent a child running into the road etc

xxx

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Same as Mollymop my Revised EYFS course is 13th October Im so. so lost with it all

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs M View Post
    Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for the list. Just a couple of questions.
    With regards to amending our Safeguarding policy, we work with the one from our LA and are required to use that one. Are we permitted to amend that in anyway or should we write another one to run alongside it? Tbh, I still use my original policy and run it alongside the LA one but not sure of the requirements.
    Also, with regards to our policies and procedures, I am happy with mine but wondered if anyone else had any ideas of how to present them to work inline with the new EYFS.
    Just about to re-write contracts with effect from September, especially as hours are changing anyway so it all works out.
    My parents receive their children's LJ's every six to eight weeks and I do ask for feedback from them (not that I usually get it from one of the families) and I also write newsletters ensuring that parents are aware of my planning so that they can continue our themes at home.
    Hoping all is going to work itself out in time!!!
    x
    I have adapted the Cheshire East model safeguarding policy to suit me and my provision.

I run it alongside - it does not replace - my own safeguarding and child protection policy and procedures.

I have not amended the Cheshire one just my own as they say the right things between them.

Policies and procedures - I have mostly just changed the wording to reflect the different focus of some of the requirements and added requirements numbers. I will present them in alphabetical order.

Hth x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANY MORE !!!!

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

HI i use ncma acident/incident book do i need to change wording in that???
    or just on policys?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sandy64 View Post
    HI i use ncma acident/incident book do i need to change wording in that???
    or just on policys?
    I am surprised NCMA are not ready for the revised EYFS with updated documentation to reflect the new wording.

Perhaps someone needs to ring them and ask them what their timescale is since we are only a week away from launch now.

In the meantime I suggest you reflect the new wording in your own paperwork -

3.48 Providers must ensure there is a first aid box accessible at all times with appropriate content for use with children. Providers must keep a written record of accidents or injuries and first aid treatment. Providers must inform parents and/or carers of any accident or injury sustained by the child on the same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable, of any first aid treatment given.

3.49 Registered providers must notify Ofsted of any serious accident, illness or injury to, or death of, any child while in their care, and of the action taken. Notification must be made as soon as is reasonably practicable, but in any event within 14 days of the incident occurring. A registered provider, who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with this requirement, commits an offence. Providers must notify local child protection agencies of any serious accident or injury to, or the death of, any child while in their care, and must act on any advice from those agencies.

Hth

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah they may have but its a book i started at april seemed silly to buy a new one yet? so will change wording thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I am surprised NCMA are not ready for the revised EYFS with updated documentation to reflect the new wording.

Perhaps someone needs to ring them and ask them what their timescale is since we are only a week away from launch now.

In the meantime I suggest you reflect the new wording in your own paperwork -

3.48 Providers must ensure there is a first aid box accessible at all times with appropriate content for use with children. Providers must keep a written record of accidents or injuries and first aid treatment. Providers must inform parents and/or carers of any accident or injury sustained by the child on the same day, or as soon as reasonably practicable, of any first aid treatment given.

3.49 Registered providers must notify Ofsted of any serious accident, illness or injury to, or death of, any child while in their care, and of the action taken. Notification must be made as soon as is reasonably practicable, but in any event within 14 days of the incident occurring. A registered provider, who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with this requirement, commits an offence. Providers must notify local child protection agencies of any serious accident or injury to, or the death of, any child while in their care, and must act on any advice from those agencies.

Hth

Apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

The revised EYFS is 2 weeks away! Are you ready?

Have you...?

- Updated your safeguarding policy and procedures to include information about mobile phones and cameras?

- Gone through requirement 3.72 and made sure you can say 'yes, I share all that with parents'?

- Changed the parent information guide on www.foundationyears.org.uk so it reflects your way of working?

- Updated your observation, assessment and planning documents to show the 7 areas of learning?

- Designed a new '2 year progress check format' that you are happy with?

- Made a new 'physical intervention' record in case you need to document an incident?

- Decided whether you are going to continue writing your RAs or explain them verbally during your inspection?

- Worked through all the EYFS 2012 to make sure you have all the required documents in place?

- Included the Characteristics of Effective Learning in the children's assessments?

- Decided whether you are going to make changes to the ways you present your policies and procedures?

- Explained the changes to the EYFS to parents?

- Made sure parents are aware that you will be sharing their child's learning with them so they can follow up activities at home from now on?

- Considered how you will note sharing with other settings / agencies so you can show evidence of this to your inspector?

- Changed the format of each child's Learning Journey file to include the new Development Matters guidance document and decided how you will show progression without using it as a tick list?

- Downloaded a copy of 'Working together to safeguard children'... and noted that it is being replaced soon? I do NOT recommend printing it - it's huge!

- Made sure your SEF is safely stored on your computer because Ofsted are going to be mucking about with their online SEF system?

- Taken time to read through all the information in free downloads at the top of the forum... about changes to the EYFS, variations from Sept etc to make sure you are confident you will be ready to tackle the new requirements?

Now is the time to sort things out!!

Don't forget - I am offering free updates on all e-books you have bought previously - you just need to contact me and ask for them
    Ok, I am panicking now! I'm feeling very unsure as I thought I had all the paperwork (framework, dev. matters, 2 year check, etc) but where are the requirements stated. I looked for 3.72 and in the framework it only goes to 3.7!!!! Am I being a complete idiot today and looking in the wrong place?

Help!!!!

Ignore me - found it!!!!!!
    Last edited by pinkellifun; 22-08-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot!

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    I DON'T WANT TO PLAY ANY MORE !!!!
    I'm with Twink, I'm taking my ball home!!
    Sue

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

ive just spoken to the ncma who have categorically said they are not revising the "accident, incident or medication folder" at all

even though i said that some of the wording in the new eyfs has changed so therefore the folder should reflect those changes.....even though i mentioned the "physical intervention" that we now have to document and report to parents....it was still a resounding NO

she did suggest i contact their marketing dept but in all honesty, i can;t see the point....if there WERE going to make any changes then im sure they would of done them by now so that they did fall into place from the 1st sept.

personally, i think the way they word their accident/incident forms does allow you to document "injuries" too and i guess any physical intervention that we may have to do can be documented as an incident too so maybe they just think that we'll just have to modify what we've already got BUT it would of been nice to have had everything updated in line with the new eyfs but there you go

not sure if thats helped anyone at all but at least now we have an answer

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

ive just spoken to the ncma who have categorically said they are not revising the "accident, incident or medication folder" at all

even though i said that some of the wording in the new eyfs has changed so therefore the folder should reflect those changes.....even though i mentioned the "physical intervention" that we now have to document and report to parents....it was still a resounding NO

she did suggest i contact their marketing dept but in all honesty, i can;t see the point....if there WERE going to make any changes then im sure they would of done them by now so that they did fall into place from the 1st sept.

personally, i think the way they word their accident/incident forms does allow you to document "injuries" too and i guess any physical intervention that we may have to do can be documented as an incident too so maybe they just think that we'll just have to modify what we've already got BUT it would of been nice to have had everything updated in line with the new eyfs but there you go

not sure if thats helped anyone at all but at least now we have an answer

jo x

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

whoops, posted twice

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default help i cant find this bit that i need to look at???

Paragraph 5 on here

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/ea...on-stage-2012/

EYFS for Parents
    4Children has published a non-statutory document with the aim of giving parents an overview of the EYFS Framework 2012. It will illustrate how parents can support their child during the foundation years. Settings will be able to add further information in free text boxes to give parents more details about the implementation of the EYFS in their setting. It is the intention that all settings should share this guidance with parents. This guide has been developed with parents. An overwhelming want from parents was that this guide would be available electronically. Therefore it has been designed to be accessed electronically but also as a downloadable printed copy. Included in the guide are free text boxes where settings can insert their own logos, aims and messages to parents. There is an accompanying user guide for that takes you through the process of editing the Parents' Guide.
    Ive followed the link but dont understand what i need to do can someone help x
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Non childminder member
    CM Assistant
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the accident/incident section of the NCMA book would work okay if that's what you use generally. I would file physical intervention under incidents anyway, on the grounds that there would be some precipitating incident e.g. a fight that risked injury, that caused you to use physical intervention.

So I would fill in the description of what happened that make you decide you need to use physical intervention, and then in the injury/action field description the action taken i.e. 'physical intervention' (though obviously a little more detail ) and then just include a note there was no injury (presuming there wasn't).

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrs robbie williams View Post
    Ive followed the link but dont understand what i need to do can someone help x
    hi, if you click on the link it will take you to the foundation years website - if you scroll down to the heading "eyfs info for parents" i think its called and you'll see a document there that you can download. once you've downloaded it you can fill in the text boxes with your own setting information and then save it and print out for parents or e-mail to them, whichever you prefer.

does that help

jo x

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast