Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: fridge temps?

Registered Childminder since
    Feb2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fridge temps?

Hi

iam just updating my risk assessment and have noticed that the ones I have used as guidance in the past (South Gloucestershire) give different values to those I was given on a Food Hygiene course yesterday. They say 4-5 degress, my instructor said 1-4 degrees, just wondered which figures you have.

Also I think I am due an inspection soon, I have an american fridge freezer so have been recording the temps from the digital display, will OFSTED be happy with this or do I need to get a thermometer for inside the fridge and freezer,

Thanks

Pipsqueak Guest

recording fridge temps is good practice not a requirement

Have you the Safer Food Better Business Pack for Childminders. It has all the bumpf in there

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's not really an Ofsted remit - although if a child was poisoned because of food you provide you have to tell them.

It doesn't matter how you check the temperature (internal or on the door) as long as it is right.

Hth

Feb2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I will chill out a bit about it,

I have downloaded the Safer Food Better Business Pack for Childminders, lots of useful info

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I recently had a visit from environmental health when I registered as a food business. The only thing they checked was my fridge temperature. They had also said on the phone about the fridge temperature and I told them I had a display on the door. She told me that they can be very unreliable. When I did get a thermometer to go in the fridge the temperature was indeed a few degrees warmer than the fridge built in thermostat was indicating!
    I don't think its something you need to check every day but you need to be aware of fluctuations and know that it is working properly.
    As far as Ofsted are concerned I doubt they will worry so long as you can demonstrate safety and hygiene in general throughout the home which goes without saying.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have the same pack and at my last training course it was confirmed check fridge 2 times a day freezer once a day and you only need to record if temerature too high plus thermometer has to be in a cup of water inside the fridge for a true reading