Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Cupboard and drawer locks recommendations please

Hi
    I have been looking at cupboard and drawer locks and seen so many I now am confused as to which ones to buy.

I'd rather not have ones that require screws etc so looking for adhesive ones x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have found some great ones which work for drawers and cupboards - no screws, I didn't want to ruin my new kitchen cupboards. Basically like a big white safety pin which you hook around door handles. Will have to ask hubby when he gets home in an hour where we got them from, mind gone blank. x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

He said they are from Tesco.

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks, will have a look

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothercare do them as well, these are the ones I have

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare...elated-tab-3-5

I also have the hidden ones inside the cupboard for under the sink

xxxx

Penny1959 Guest

I solved the issue with a safety gate across the kitchen door - children only in kitchen if for a reason such as craft activity, eating, cooking / preparing a meal - and only then if an adult present.

I hate all those cupboard/ drawer locks - so don't have any - in the past I found the only one who can't open them is me

Penny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post

I hate all those cupboard/ drawer locks - so don't have any - in the past I found the only one who can't open them is me

Penny
    I've had that problem too!

I think Boots also do magnetic locks

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Penny, I have a safety gate across my kitchen door too, does this mean I can bypass the use of drawer/cupboard locks? Will this be acceptable with Ofsted do you think?

Thanks!!

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING!
    Post Thanks / Like

We purchased some non-inflicting locks from boots. No drilling or imposing locks, all hidden in the cupboard and open using a magnet. Brilliant....

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pandypops View Post
    Hi Penny, I have a safety gate across my kitchen door too, does this mean I can bypass the use of drawer/cupboard locks? Will this be acceptable with Ofsted do you think?

Thanks!!
    You are required to keep the children safe and therefore you need to think about your own situation.

Ask yourself - if the children were in the kitchen and I had to leave the kitchen (answer the door / go to the loo) would the children be safe?

My answer was yes - little ones - if in the kitchen are strapped in highchairs or booster seats. Big ones understand the rules - but if they did get off chairs - sharp knives are on window sill and cleaners on highest shelf - both would require the child to push a chair across the room to access - and I would hear that as have wooden chairs and ceramic floor

All the children know the rule about not being in the kitchen unless I am and therefore by the time the are old enough to open the gate themselves - they are old enough to self regulate not doing so.

Of course each child is different which is why I have on main risk assessment that I review every time a new child starts or circumstances change - and therefore if I had one of those who can get onto kitchen surfaces without the use of a chair or one whose additional needs meant they would not self regulate not opening the gate - I would re think how I keep them safe.

Hope that helps

Penny

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Just on for this very reason :-( brand new kitchen that I dont want to ruin with screws :-( Just read reviews on all adhesive stuff and looks AWFUL! gees. Got non slip mats for knives, kettle so thats sorted. Just dont want to ruin our kitchen as it would effect resale value if we decided to go at any point ARGH..Think I'll just buy adhesive in bulk and get on with it! sorry for my rant!

May2010
    Post Thanks / Like

The mothercare magnetic locks are fantastic, you can't see them, so your kitchen isn't defaced. If you do use the magnetic ones it takes a few days to learn where they are, so bit frustrating, but only lasts until it becomes automatic where to tap the magnet.

Watch out for the magnets I have thrown them in the bin a few times by accident and also they're strong magnets so not suitable for play by the little ones.

Hope you find the solution that works for you.
    Becky x

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    You are required to keep the children safe and therefore you need to think about your own situation.

Ask yourself - if the children were in the kitchen and I had to leave the kitchen (answer the door / go to the loo) would the children be safe?

My answer was yes - little ones - if in the kitchen are strapped in highchairs or booster seats. Big ones understand the rules - but if they did get off chairs - sharp knives are on window sill and cleaners on highest shelf - both would require the child to push a chair across the room to access - and I would hear that as have wooden chairs and ceramic floor

All the children know the rule about not being in the kitchen unless I am and therefore by the time the are old enough to open the gate themselves - they are old enough to self regulate not doing so.

Of course each child is different which is why I have on main risk assessment that I review every time a new child starts or circumstances change - and therefore if I had one of those who can get onto kitchen surfaces without the use of a chair or one whose additional needs meant they would not self regulate not opening the gate - I would re think how I keep them safe.

Hope that helps

Penny
    this is what I do.........even with my own children.......................................... ..I have had a safety gate across my kitchen door for 26yrs now