Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default 'Written by...' information on risk assessments

Risk assessment for - writing risk assessments

Date - 24.4.11

Written by - Sarah707

Hazard - failure to meet the statutory requirements of the Eyfs and own advice

Risk - loss of current Ofsted grade and action at inspection

Control - go through every single risk assessment and check it says 'written by - and my name' at the top.

Guess what I am doing this weekend?

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant Sarah! I feel may be doing same. My last inspector never said anything about itxx

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i have my name on all of mine....

wow..does that mean...i mightve got something right for a change!!

we cant have that can we?

mandy xxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not got my name on mine and Inspector didn't say anything - will update at some point as you can be sure it will catch me out at a later date!

Thanks
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

not got it written on mine either
    IS BACK

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do happen to have my name on mine, however if I didn't and the inspector said anything I might well just point out that as a childminder it is MY business, I am the sole proprietor, I am responsible for the running of my business, no one else could write the RA for MY business as they would not know it as well as me, I wouldn't even want an assistant to write them as it is MY business at the end of the day. So surely common sense should prevail and it should be perfectly obvious that it is ME who has written them.

At a nursery, playgroup etc., yes, you would need to know who has written them.
    Pauline x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I totally agree Pauline but a childminder on here was only picked up on this one only a few weeks ago.

The Eyfs says we must keep the following information -

a record of the risk assessment clearly stating when it was carried out, by whom, date of review and any action taken following a review or incident.

The member had her RAs in a file with her name on the front but the inspector said that was wrong and it must be on every RA.

She got an action ... if I get one particular inspector next time I know she will look for anything to find wrong because that's how she operates

I am not prepared to take the risk especially when the Eyfs is so clear (for once!) on the subject.

onceinabluemoon Guest

ok... mine are bound in a booklet, with my childminding name on the fornt and each RA is dated.

Am I supposed to now totally print them all again with my name on or can I just sign them all?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

On the top of most of mine (I'm not reprinting them) I have just written 'written by Sarah'.

Others which were due their annual review anyway (I do a few a month) have been re-typed to include the information.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    ok... mine are bound in a booklet, with my childminding name on the fornt and each RA is dated.

Am I supposed to now totally print them all again with my name on or can I just sign them all?
    I would just print your name on the top of each one.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I reviewed and re-typed all of mine last September, I put my name on them, signed and dated each one with a review date.

TheBTeam Guest

I have the date written on mine, hubby and i share risk assessments so will write written by us both! just to dot the i's and cross the t's so to speak, but then the eyfs review is relaxing on them anyway, so they are being very picky in a childminding setting!

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for pointing this out Sarah, I don't have them on mine either so i wil be adding them on. While i can see Paulines point of view i can just see me getting an inspector who is set in their ways and may pick up on it so it can be one less thing they can moan about!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheBTeam View Post
    I have the date written on mine, hubby and i share risk assessments so will write written by us both! just to dot the i's and cross the t's so to speak, but then the eyfs review is relaxing on them anyway, so they are being very picky in a childminding setting!
    Ah but there's no guarantee that will happen... and even if it does it'll be Autumn next year before we see anything in writing.

I'm due inspection sooner rather than later so I'm not taking any chances!

All done now... relaxing time soon

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarah

I agree with you. Definatley best to have all areas covered. My inspection last week, she went through all my Risk assessments with a fine toothcomb. I HAD put my name on and dated and signed everything. I had handwritten any reviews and just signed and put date to any small amendments rather than printing all off again and she was happy with this.
    If I changed anything, she also wanted to see the date and signature too. She almost caught me one one RA, but luckily I had dated it on the next sheet. I had a whole folder full of RA's and reviews and she almost got me on a scribble adjustment that I had made, but could back it up and show her the proof that it was dated. It does seem that if they can pick up you on the tiniest thing, they will.

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

mine checked RA's for name, date etc and stated it had to have my full name on which luckily all but one recently reviewed one had!.
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

TheBTeam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Ah but there's no guarantee that will happen... and even if it does it'll be Autumn next year before we see anything in writing.

I'm due inspection sooner rather than later so I'm not taking any chances!

All done now... relaxing time soon
    Oh yes i agree, i did go through and date mine, but no names as yet, when i get them out for my monthly checks at the beginning of may they can have our names on them then, if i remember (what our names are that is!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    I do happen to have my name on mine, however if I didn't and the inspector said anything I might well just point out that as a childminder it is MY business, I am the sole proprietor, I am responsible for the running of my business, no one else could write the RA for MY business as they would not know it as well as me, I wouldn't even want an assistant to write them as it is MY business at the end of the day. So surely common sense should prevail and it should be perfectly obvious that it is ME who has written them.

At a nursery, playgroup etc., yes, you would need to know who has written them.
    But Pauline, Ofsted inspectors DO NOT always have common sense!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Penny1959 Guest

My annual risk assessment of my setting does have all the requirements - who wrote it, date, review date.

All identified risks and actions are in my 'evidence diary' - so the date is there as entered on appropriate page - but not signed. It is my personal evidence diary. If my assistant comes across a risk - she tells me - and I write it in the evidence diary and of course what she or I did about it.

This I believe covers the the requirements of 'Suitable premises' on page 33 of Satutory guidance.

However as all my other 'risk assessments' are just generic checklists for outings (all 6 of them) they are not dated, signed, nor have a review date.

I believe this covers the requirement forrisk assessment for 'outings' on page 24 of statory guidance which says
    For each type of outing providers must carry out a full risk assessment which includes an assessment of required aduld:child ratio. This assessment must take into account the nature of the outing and consider whether it is appropriate to exceed the normal ratio requirements (as set out in this document) in accordance with providers procedures for supervision of children on outings. This assessment must be reviewed before embarking on each specific outing.

It says nothing about in writing or date, or by whom. My main annual risk assessments says I will refer to my checklists before going on an outing - which I do. I then just write any risk found and action in my evidence diary. Any insopector pulling me up on this would be asked to justify their action against the EYFS - which they would not be able to as I am (I believe) doing what is required.

Penny

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

But Pauline, Ofsted inspectors DO NOT always have common sense! well said Miffy

My RA were fine had my inspection this year, but as always depends what the inspectors like I dont have my name on mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast