Debbie

Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Christmas tree risk assessment

Quote Originally Posted by SWard View Post
    Thank you Sarah for your help...............every one else im expecting my first inspection soon so just covering my back!
    I'm expecting my first inspection too, I can totally understand where your coming from, you just want to cover everything so they can't pick holes in it, I've heard so many stories on here of the stupid things that inspectors pick holes in. I don't think it can hurt to do one even if you only do it this year and if it's on your computer then all you have to do is just print it off again next year if you want.

Good luck with your inspection hun!!!
    Sam xxx

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    I must be a really bad minder because in all the 14 years i have been working i have never done a written RA for my christmas tree.

And to be honest dont think i will start now
    No not a bad minder because in all the 14 years I'm sure you have risk assessed you just haven't written it down! As Childminders we are contstantly risk assessing as we go about our daily routines and activities allowing for common sense seems to have gone out of the window!
    Christine

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Joking aside guys yes I agree totally it's a world gone potty but the Eyfs is clear that we have a requirement to write RAs.

Don't you find that the more you do the quicker you can do them and once they are done it's just a matter of tweaking them next year?

Dec 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamBaker View Post
    Really?? I'm just doing my risk assessments, you mean i have another to do Can I get Santa to sign my guest book when he comes in
    LOL nice one!

Aug 08
    Non childminder member
    Childminder!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a babydan playpen/room divider around mine too. It doesn't stop them touching as they can reach through the bars but will stop the tree toppling over onto them.

WRT real Christmas trees and those of you who are writing RAs for Christmas, I get covered in a red very itchy rash if I come into contact with pine needles so presumably kiddies can do too, may that be something to mention?

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I get out of this. Don't put mine up till 17th Dec when I break up for xmas too
    carol xx

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought hubby was being Scrouge not putting tree up until 17th but now I think I agree with him.

jun 08
    Post Thanks / Like

My Christmas tree risk assessment:

Do not put up until 23rd when no more mindees in house.

Take down 3rd January before they come back on the 5th.

Sorted!

(I have an 18month old who pulls things down like you have never seen!!!!)

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curlycathy View Post
    My Christmas tree risk assessment:

Do not put up until 23rd when no more mindees in house.

Take down 3rd January before they come back on the 5th.

Sorted!

(I have an 18month old who pulls things down like you have never seen!!!!)
    Yes, I think I may have to put ours up after a particular mindee leaves for Christmas.....
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

Penny1959 Guest

Well have read all the posts and can understand the anxiety of newbies and those expecting their inspection.

BUT in my opinion - although EYFS does say we have to have written risk assessments - it does not say we have to have one for every little thing.

So I am either a very, very bad childminder or I am a sensible one who has written risk assessments - but GENERAL ones that cover main areas - for example INDOOR ENVIRONMENT - this is where Christmas Tree would come under - but is not specifically mention.

All my risk assessment are of a checklist question type, so
    'Checklist for house'
    Overarching statement ' Every day before taking any children into my care, this checklist will be used to ensure the safety of the children. Any issues identified will be recorded in the Childminder Evidence Diary along with any action taken'.

And the two parts that I use when the christmas tree is up
    'A walk through of the house is carried out to ensure no hazards are present'
    'All safety equipment needed to be in place for the children attending that day will be checked and fitted'.

So if have to put baby dan type thing up would do so and put in diary - but only on days that needed to. If wire from lights hanging in reach of the crawler - I would make it safe - and record that I had done so.

Part of all paperwork is the confidence that it works for you and your setting - and being able to explain / give examples. AND having a system of evaluation so that if changes are needed they are made.

And what did Mrs O think?

She said 'comprehensive risk assessments are in place for home and garden, and these are continually updated as needed to meet the needs of individual children'

Of course my ideas may not work for you and your Mrs O may not like what I do - but I will not be changing mine just for inspection purposes - they work for me and the children are safe at all times.

If anyone would like to see my 'comprehensive' risk assessments (all 6 of them - plus an annual check) please PM me your email address and I will send copies to you.

Penny
    Last edited by Penny1959; 05-12-2010 at 04:41 AM.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    Well have read all the posts and can understand the anxiety of newbies and those expecting their inspection.

BUT in my opinion - although EYFS does say we have to have written risk assessments - it does not say we have to have one for every little thing.

So I am either a very, very bad childminder or I am a sensible one who has written risk assessments - but GENERAL ones that cover main areas - for example INDOOR ENVIRONMENT - this is where Christmas Tree would come under - but is not specifically mention.

'Checklist for house'
    Overarching statement ' Every day before taking any children into my care, this checklist will be used to ensure the safety of the children. Any issues identified will be recorded in the Childminder Evidence Diary along with any action taken'.

'All safety equipment needed to be in place for the children attending that day will be checked and fitted'.

So if have to put baby dan type thing up would do so and put in diary - but only on days that needed to. If wire from lights hanging in reach of the crawler - I would make it safe - and record that I had done so.

Part of all paperwork is the confidence that it works for you and your setting - and being able to explain / give examples. AND having a system of evaluation so that if changes are needed they are made.

She said 'comprehensive risk assessments are in place for home and garden, and these are continually updated as needed to meet the needs of individual children'

Of course my ideas may not work for you and your Mrs O may not like what I do - but I will not be changing mine just for inspection purposes - they work for me and the children are safe at all times.

If anyone would like to see my 'comprehensive' risk assessments (all 6 of them - plus an annual check) please PM me your email address and I will send copies to you.

Penny
    Sounds very sensible to me

Have sent you a pm

Cx

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

'Checklist for house'

Penny
    Extremely sensible and your system sounds very similar to ours. We also got a similar comment on our inspection report and got overal Outstanding grading.

One thing that people might not think about is allergies to real trees. I'm not allergic to anything else, but I am allergic to real christmas trees
    If I touch the pines I get hives all up my arms. Just thought I would share so you can be aware

Penny1959 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Playmate View Post
    Extremely sensible and your system sounds very similar to ours. We also got a similar comment on our inspection report and got overal Outstanding grading.

One thing that people might not think about is allergies to real trees. I'm not allergic to anything else, but I am allergic to real christmas trees
    If I touch the pines I get hives all up my arms. Just thought I would share so you can be aware
    Thank you for information - although not specifically aware of reactions to real christmas trees - did have general awareness as one DD reacts to Ivy.

Penny

Pleased to know others thing I am sensible and have similar RA's

OCT 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a RA for christmas tree and christmas decorations, but Mrs O usually calls on me at christmas time

Allie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

MY RA for crimbo tree :-

Lo goes to touch tree....."No, you can look but do not touch"

Works....job done
    Needs to Zumba

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    I am going to write a risk assessment for this HUGE pile of risk assessments I have.
    Surely they must be dangerous ?

Paper cuts
    Risk of injury if said pile topples over and lands on someone
    Lack of oxygen due to all the trees being cut down for the paper
    Childminder having nervous breakdown in corner due to all the paperwork
    This just cracked me up!!!!!!!
    Blondes have more fun!

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    I am going to write a risk assessment for this HUGE pile of risk assessments I have.
    Surely they must be dangerous ?

Paper cuts
    Risk of injury if said pile topples over and lands on someone
    Lack of oxygen due to all the trees being cut down for the paper
    Childminder having nervous breakdown in corner due to all the paperwork
    ee this made me chuckle

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

'Checklist for house'

Penny
    just p.m'd you x

june 10
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG, just got my first mindee and have a 2yr old daughter, who is desperate to get her christmas tree. The mindee is 1 next week so into everything, as my daughter was at that age and i did just keep directing my daughter away from touching the tree which worked after a while.
    Isnt that how children learn what is dangerous and what is not, of course also you just would not leave a 12 month old unatended anyway. I dont have the space to put things around the tree so children cant touch it, only a small flat as it is, if i start building pens around a tree we will have no room to play. lol madness. Ofsted contacted me for my first inspection but mindee had not yet started so think ill wait to call them untill after christmas.

Think ill do mental risk ass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast