Risk Assessments - for each outing or type of outing.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Risk Assessments - for each outing or type of outing.

Having read Penny's fantastic articles in EYE this month, I've been looking at where I can reduce my paperwork but still comply with the EYFS. I know it is no longer a requirement to have written risk assessments, but for outings those that write them, do you write a risk assessment for each outing or for each type of outing eg, a risk assessment for each farm you visit or a general farm risk assessment?

Thanks

Cathy

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Think about your Ofsted inspection - you are under pressure and the children are playing up... things aren't going well... they all want your attention... the inspector asks you to risk assess a farm visit with 3 children... how would you answer?

Surely it will still be much easier to write it down!

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a risk for parks. but i go to so many different parks, some with ponds, some with farms, so i have the generic stuff at the top then broken down into each park, so one i go to has deer roaming, one has a huge lake, as i resented repeating the same things over and over.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a RA for all outings - general stuff that takes account of what we take with us, different combinations of children etc and then a specific RA for each of the regular outings we do.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

feb 98
    Post Thanks / Like

Having already put a lot of time and effort into RA for the whole property I think it would be crazy to bin them off and try to remember everything. Why on earth would anyone who has done all that work to make sure they are keeping a safe place for children want to throw all that work away. Whilst it may say we no longer need to have them in writing I personally will be keeping mine up to date as I have done for years. It also supports me with any accident or incident that happens. RA for outings is from what I understand going to be a big thing with the changes but as this is something I have been doing for years now I think it may be foolhardy to remove it from my provision now.
    I also RA activities and have built a considerable reference that I can use when planning and when talking to Ofsted.
    Personally I think the change from having to have RA in writing is a bit of a smoke screen with the changes so it can be said they have cut down our paperwork when in reality once we have carried out the RA all we really need to do is update it if there are any changes. If this is meant to be seen as a cut back in our paperwork requirements I think we are being fooled. I have enough to remember on a daily basis without conducting RA to memory as well. No when Mrs Ofsted knocks on my door she will be offered all my RA's in writing. Perhaps it will keep her occupied while I try to remain calm and do what I do best work with the children.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cathyd View Post
    Having read Penny's fantastic articles in EYE this month, I've been looking at where I can reduce my paperwork but still comply with the EYFS. I know it is no longer a requirement to have written risk assessments, but for outings those that write them, do you write a risk assessment for each outing or for each type of outing eg, a risk assessment for each farm you visit or a general farm risk assessment?

Thanks

Cathy
    I'd have one for each farm.

I'd also say that copy/paste is a wonderful thing.

Nuff sed.

dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Nunu View Post
    Having already put a lot of time and effort into RA for the whole property I think it would be crazy to bin them off and try to remember everything. Why on earth would anyone who has done all that work to make sure they are keeping a safe place for children want to throw all that work away. Whilst it may say we no longer need to have them in writing I personally will be keeping mine up to date as I have done for years. It also supports me with any accident or incident that happens. RA for outings is from what I understand going to be a big thing with the changes but as this is something I have been doing for years now I think it may be foolhardy to remove it from my provision now.
    I also RA activities and have built a considerable reference that I can use when planning and when talking to Ofsted.
    Personally I think the change from having to have RA in writing is a bit of a smoke screen with the changes so it can be said they have cut down our paperwork when in reality once we have carried out the RA all we really need to do is update it if there are any changes. If this is meant to be seen as a cut back in our paperwork requirements I think we are being fooled. I have enough to remember on a daily basis without conducting RA to memory as well. No when Mrs Ofsted knocks on my door she will be offered all my RA's in writing. Perhaps it will keep her occupied while I try to remain calm and do what I do best work with the children.
    Hi Thats is such a good response! im with you! so funny at the end. lol

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My thinking with risk is although we might not have to record every detail if something bad does happen what will your insurances view be if you need to claim? For this reason I record all my risks?