Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    business
    Post Thanks / Like

Default urgent advise needed - How to become a childminder

Hello Friends

I am working full time but planning to give up work to become a childminder
    My own baby is due in September 2012. Had loads of queries with regards to becoming a childminder, Can anybody help please

1) courses needed to become a childminder ?
    2) If my husband assist me what courses or training does he need ?

3) as of now we are renting 1 bedroom flat, how many children under 5 can ***** mind ?

4) Do i have to hire assistants or can i be the sole carer?
    5) If i hire assistants what are the requirements
    6) If my house is small for my business can i hire a space to do my child minding business

Would really appreciate if you advise me as i will be broke if i do not work and cannot leave my job but cannot even leave my own kid to a childminder as it is way beyond my capacity to pay them

kind regard
    sms

Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sms View Post
    Hello Friends

I am working full time but planning to give up work to become a childminder
    My own baby is due in September 2012. Had loads of queries with regards to becoming a childminder, Can anybody help please

1) courses needed to become a childminder ?
    Contact your local authority and ask for the details you need to become a childminder and they will point you in the right direction
    2) If my husband assist me what courses or training does he need ?
    Depends on HOW he assists you, if you plan on leaving him for short periods then I believe he will need a paediatrics first aid. Also you will need to complete a CRB check

3) as of now we are renting 1 bedroom flat, how many children under 5 can ***** mind ?
    Once you start your registration process you have a "pre-reg" meeting someone will come to your house and go through everything you need to do, and in my case told me how many children I can mind. Although this will be stated on your reg cert

4) Do i have to hire assistants or can i be the sole carer?
    No you dont HAVE to hire anyone
    5) If i hire assistants what are the requirements
    Not too sure on all the requirements as I don't have one. But the same has hubby (first aid and CRB, perhaps other stuff)
    6) If my house is small for my business can i hire a space to do my child minding business
    Again not too sure about this, you will need to consider where you would hire a space, how much it would cost, how many hours you will need, will your childcare fees cover the costs of the space AND your living, Will parents drop to your house then you go to "setting" will you just use "setting" how will this impact you life etc

Would really appreciate if you advise me as i will be broke if i do not work and cannot leave my job but cannot even leave my own kid to a childminder as it is way beyond my capacity to pay them

kind regard
    sms
    Hope some of this helps. The best place to call for a lot of these answers are you LA and Ofsted xx