Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Husband as assistant

I have had a friend ask for some help with care for you youngest son who currently goes to another CM. (I take her eldest to school, pick him up and drop him at other CM as she cannot do that school run)

Anyway this CM is going to be off for 3 weeks in June and I am going to apply for a variation to have 4 in EY 3 days a week... The issue was on two days I would have 7 under the age of 8 which I know is not allowed.

DH has said he will register as an assistant and get his paed's first aid and take holiday from work for the two days to help me out... (ahhh bless him lol)

The question I have is, do I need to "pay" him and account for that. Or can I just continue as I am in terms of accounting as both our money goes in to the same pot anyway.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You don't have to pay him also think he would only have to do first aid if he was to be left alone with the children

Cx

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    You don't have to pay him also think he would only have to do first aid if he was to be left alone with the children

Cx
    There would be times when he was alone, either he would do the school run pick up, or wait at home with younger mindees...

Plus there are some courses I go on that are Thursday evenings (I have one mindee until 7pm on that day) and I usually take mindee to a stand in minder which she hates going to by herself, so this way mindee can stay with DH and play at mine with my sons until dad collects her.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband has just been registered as my assistant to help out here & there when he's off work.

When I rang OFSTED they said they could put him down as my assistant to help out when we were both together with the children.

If I wanted him to be alone with the children for short periods of time he had to hold a Pediatric First Aid Certificate.

He did the course & they sent me a new certificate stating I was allowed to work with an assistant, but didn't name him on the certificate.

Hope that helps!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Mc View Post
    My husband has just been registered as my assistant to help out here & there when he's off work.

When I rang OFSTED they said they could put him down as my assistant to help out when we were both together with the children.

If I wanted him to be alone with the children for short periods of time he had to hold a Pediatric First Aid Certificate.

He did the course & they sent me a new certificate stating I was allowed to work with an assistant, but didn't name him on the certificate.

Hope that helps!
    That's exactly what I have but remember you need the written permission of the parents to leave the children alone with your assistant and it must only be for short times. I include the permission on my list of Consents sheet that all my parents sign when they first sign their contract. When he was newly registered I just did a letter for all the existing parents to sign to say they were happy.

Oh I also get my dh to do a Child Protection Course every three years, not compulsory but good practice and it helps him to safeguard himself.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Emma - sorry to crash your thread - can I ask a question too please?

I am thinking of registering my husband as my (unpaid) assistant. It would be so that he would be responsible for our 2 children during the time he is at home. He works shifts so has Mondays off and is home by 3.30 (when my boys come home from school/pre-school)
    So my question is can I register him purely to look after my own 2 children so that when he is present I can increase my numbers by 2?? I have some parents that want childcare but their times will overlap by half an hour and as he will be here at that time I thought it would cover the problem?
    Would I be allowed to do this and is it just register him as an assistant and then apply for the assistant/variation form? Would I be best to ring Ofsted?

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jules not too sure if you'd be able to do that but I'm no expert! I think an assistant can only 'assist' you are the one who is the trained/registered childminder.

Has your husband thought of doing the childminding course himself? After all he'd have to have his first aid certificate to be your assistant & he's already had a CRB check.

You can do online courses or attend evening classes so it should fit in around work. I want my hubby to do it, I think it would be great to work together!

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Jules just re read your post & noticed you said your 'own' children .... that might not be a problem then. But I'd ring OFSTED & get there advice

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post

I am thinking of registering my husband as my (unpaid) assistant. It would be so that he would be responsible for our 2 children during the time he is at home. He works shifts so has Mondays off and is home by 3.30 (when my boys come home from school/pre-school)
    So my question is can I register him purely to look after my own 2 children so that when he is present I can increase my numbers by 2?? I have some parents that want childcare but their times will overlap by half an hour and as he will be here at that time I thought it would cover the problem?
    Would I be allowed to do this and is it just register him as an assistant and then apply for the assistant/variation form? Would I be best to ring Ofsted?
    I registered my dh years ago and Ofsted automatically increased my numbers I didn't need them to or ask! I would ring Ofsted and ask.

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post

If he will be looking after your own children then he he doesn't need to do anything. With your two children being looked after by your husband you would be able to look after two more children. As long as he is there you are already sorted to take on the extra two for those hours.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    If he will be looking after your own children then he he doesn't need to do anything. With your two children being looked after by your husband you would be able to look after two more children. As long as he is there you are already sorted to take on the extra two for those hours.
    Sorry Bob you are wrong. The primary parent is always responsible for the children and you cannot swap and change because dad is off work.

If you want to have DH as an assistant for in the EY2 form on Ofsteds website and send it in which will create the paperwork for the CRB. You then need to get him on a First Aid course so that he can be allowed to be left with the children without the childminder on the premises or he can collect from school.

Once Ofsted have approved this you can have your numbers increased but you still need to get written parental permission for their children to be left/collected without you and then Employers Liability Insurance from your insurance company (this is for volunteers too and doesn't cost much - under £10)

Then you are set to go..
    Debbie

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies - I did look at the EY2 form as there is a link on here bit I found it a bit confusing - I might print it off and read it - might make more sense!! Probably because its such a specific application and because its for my own children!?
    As he is my husband he already has the CRB and from what others have said he wouldn't need the first aid unless he was been left alone with the childminding children? (rather than my own which is the plan)
    Will look again at the form and if not will phone Ofsted!
    Do I need to specify the times I will use him - it will only be on a casual basis - like if he has an extra day of over half term and I have a request for an extra child.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Have applied to Ofsted by e-mail today using the Ofsted assistant/variation form which is underneath the EY2 form on the links page.
    Will let you know if they allow it or not - or just tell me I've used the wrong form and I'm an idiot!
    Anyone know how long these things take in the grand scale of things - a few days or should I be expecting several weeks?
    Thanks for advice

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatterbox Childcare View Post
    Sorry Bob you are wrong. The primary parent is always responsible for the children and you cannot swap and change because dad is off work.
    Primary parent ??? what's one of those?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Primary parent ??? what's one of those?
    The one that normally cares for the children on a day to day basis. So if Mum is at home 5 days and looks after the children she is the 'Primary carer'.

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    The one that normally cares for the children on a day to day basis. So if Mum is at home 5 days and looks after the children she is the 'Primary carer'.
    That doesn't mean that Dad can't walk in the door after work and immediately take over the care of his own child does it?

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

That doesn't mean that Dad can't walk in the door after work and immediately take over the care of his own child does it?
    Well my DH takes my DS to school, or waits at home with youngest DS if I do the school run, there is no way on this earth I am going to be told he cant do that...

I think what they mean is that you reg cert says you can have X number of kids (obviously this does not include your own) So if you can only have 2 kids AND your own child, you can't then get DH to look after son and have another mindee because your reg still only states you can have 2... if that makes sense

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Emma the certificate states the total number of children you can look after, it also specifies how many in each age group. If your certificate says six children and you have two of your own then while you are caring for your two you can only have four mindees. As soon as your children are being looked after by someone else, neighbour, granny or Dad then you have six spaces, none of which are being used by your own children.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    Well my DH takes my DS to school, or waits at home with youngest DS if I do the school run, there is no way on this earth I am going to be told he cant do that...

I think what they mean is that you reg cert says you can have X number of kids (obviously this does not include your own) So if you can only have 2 kids AND your own child, you can't then get DH to look after son and have another mindee because your reg still only states you can have 2... if that makes sense
    You are quite right Emma - of course Ofsted aren't going to tell you your husband can't help you out with your own children!!
    As you say it is to do with increasing numbers on your certificate! On my certificate I am only registered to look after 4 children - 2 of which can be in the early years group. This is because I have 2 children of my own and 1 of whom is in the early years group. Good luck with your variation - I sent mine off on Monday and had to resend it on Tuesday cos they couldn't open the attachment! oops!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Emma the certificate states the total number of children you can look after, it also specifies how many in each age group. If your certificate says six children and you have two of your own then while you are caring for your two you can only have four mindees. As soon as your children are being looked after by someone else, neighbour, granny or Dad then you have six spaces, none of which are being used by your own children.
    Your certificate state the total number of MINDED children you can care for, your children are not included to prevent people doing what you have suggested
    Pauline x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast