A couple of quick questions re: Hubby as assistant please...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A couple of quick questions re: Hubby as assistant please...

Hi

I am thinking of using my DH as an assistant.
    He works full time but odd hours and is quite often around for school runs, so my questions are;

1) I would only need him to do school runs for children over 8yrs old, so does he still need 12hr first aid?

2) If he needs first aid, do you do that first and then send off the EY2 form or do you send in the EY2 form first and then do first Aid course?

Thanks
    Toothfairy

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need to take advice from Ofsted.

The rules are different for the Eyfs and the Childcare Register regarding whether assistants can be in sole charge of children and whether they need first aid to be in sole charge.

There is a clause somewhere which suggests that they do not need first aid for school runs, just for outings but you would need to double check because it's a bit sketchy.

Hth

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Fab thanks Sarah, I will give them a ring
    Toothfairy

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I've phoned Ofsted and they say my husband is already registered as my assistant and has been since the day I was registered?????
    NO ONE TOLD ME!

Ofsted say that even though is will only be doing school runs (outside the house) for the over 8yrs, he still needs his Paed 1st aid (Needed for any child under the age of puberty).

So I am now trying to get him booked onto a course. Once he has done it, I just need to phone Ofsted back and make a variation request for hubby to do the school runs
    Toothfairy

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If he is regisitered as your assiatant already then that should have been on your certificate since he was registered. If it is not on your Certificate I would question why and ask them immediately to correct their mistake and issue a new cert.

You do not have to apply for Variations for assistants specific jobs. You would only need to contact Ofsted if you wanted to requst to increase you child numbers when working with an assistant.

If they are a Reg Assistant than thats what they are and apart from what Sarah has said about the oddity of Assistants not being allowed inside the house on their own with the over 8s, as long as they have Pead First Aid and you have written parential permission they can be left alone in the house with the 0-8s.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toothfairy View Post
    OK, I've phoned Ofsted and they say my husband is already registered as my assistant and has been since the day I was registered?????
    NO ONE TOLD ME!

sorry for some reason this really tickled me for once Ofsted did something in someone's favour but didn't let you know lol

Ofsted say that even though is will only be doing school runs (outside the house) for the over 8yrs, he still needs his Paed 1st aid (Needed for any child under the age of puberty).

I would say this is a good idea whether or not Ofsted had said so just in case)

So I am now trying to get him booked onto a course. Once he has done it, I just need to phone Ofsted back and make a variation request for hubby to do the school runs
    Think you have to have him named on your certificate so make sure of that as I spoke to two separate people at Ofsted who told me completely different things
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

He's not mentioned on my certificate, so i'm off call to Ofsted again to find out whats going on
    Toothfairy

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, just spoken to Steve from Ofsted and he has confirmed that hubby is registered as my assistant and that Ofsted do not put assistants names on the certificate.

Once hubby has done the 1st aid course, I then need to ring Ofsted and they will send me a proformer to fill in and send back to them and he will then be able to do the school runs.

Phew
    Toothfairy

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They do not put actual names of your assistants but they do put that you can work with an assistant on it.You do not need a first aid certificate for your husband if you are always with him.
    Alyson x

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toothfairy View Post
    OK, just spoken to Steve from Ofsted and he has confirmed that hubby is registered as my assistant and that Ofsted do not put assistants names on the certificate.

Once hubby has done the 1st aid course, I then need to ring Ofsted and they will send me a proformer to fill in and send back to them and he will then be able to do the school runs.

Phew
    Guess it is only for EY age group then as I have been told hubby needs to be a named assistant on my certificate (if I ever send the form off)
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buildingblocks View Post
    Guess it is only for EY age group then as I have been told hubby needs to be a named assistant on my certificate (if I ever send the form off)
    No they never name an assistant on your cert. My hubby is my assiatant and he can work, as I do with the under 5s but he is not and never has been named on my Cert. It just says on my cert 'When working with an Assistant'. I think you you have been mis informed.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    No they never name an assistant on your cert. My hubby is my assiatant and he can work, as I do with the under 5s but he is not and never has been named on my Cert. It just says on my cert 'When working with an Assistant'. I think you you have been mis informed.
    Mine says the same as Rickysmiths. Building blocks, perhaps they mean named on their system under your reg number?