Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice for co-minding please

My Mum is currently in the processess of registering as a childminder, but will be working woth me *a lot* of the time. She would prefer not to mind from her own home, instead to be at my home with me, however my home is a normal 2 bed, and I am concerned we may struggle to get the numbers if we do it that way.
    In practise, through the day, we are barely here at all anyway. We often do toddler groups most mornings so are only at home for say 1/2 an hour in the morning before school run, an hour or 2 at lunch, then an hour or two after school (when the numbers dwindle as most of mine go home early and don't stay for dinner). For 9 months of the year we are generally in the garden too and hardly use the house at all, although I do obviously need to consider space for the winter. Having said that, I have often had 5 or 6 up to 8yrs old most days after school and we don't seem noticeably cramped to me!
    So what I'm wondering is whether I should persuade her to register at her home, and meet here slightly less often, or whether there is an amount of time she might need to spend there as opposed to here?
    She is likely to only have a couple of mindees anyway, hopefully younger ones through the day, and I don't think we are likely to go over 6 under 8 between us at any time (avoiding planning permission!).
    Hope i've not confused you too much!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It can be great to work with someone - you get lots of input and support by sharing ideas.

However your mum will have a lot more flexibility if she registers from her own home.

I think the 2 of you need to sit down and have a good chat about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I co-mind with my next door neighbour (June). Both houses are registered though we do spend time together most days. I would suggest your mum gets her house registered even if she works at yours most of the time, at least then if you were ever ill, or on holiday she can work from her house.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both - I think we've decided to register Mum at her house in her own right. So, do I need to inform Ofsted that she will be spending a certain amount of time here? Does anyone know the rules here? Thanks again..