Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Working with assistants car Query???

OK Been having a discussion this morning regarding assistants

The Question is if you work with a registered assistant who has a 12 hr first aid course to meet Ofsted requirements can they carry children in a car either yours or theirs if it is insured for childminding purposes so long as parents have signed a relevant permission form?

I think they should be able to do so, as its no different to somone who works in a nursery/out of school club doing the school collection for the after school children or taking children out on a trip or to swimming etc.
    Celest

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Working with assistants car Query???

Yes as long as their car is insured for business use the same as yours.

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not drive but my partner and mil are registered as assistants, I have signed permission from parents for their child to travel in my partners or mil's car or that of another registered childminder. I state that it is my responsibility to ensure car seats are suitable and to check insurance details etc..... Parents were fine and so was ofsted.

mar 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet again it seems to be different rules from different folks at good old Ofsted!! I have signed permission from my parents to allow my registered childminder friend to transport my minded children in her car. If I did not have enough seats in my car and we were going out then one of my children could be transported in hers and parents were happy with this as they all know her as do the children. Obviously she has her first aid, relevant business insurance etc. However, I was told by Ofsted that this was unacceptable as I was not directly supervising the children whilst they were in her car so my insurance would be invalid and that although parents had signed this did not count!! It's ok for children over 8 though.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that - apparently when one of the minders here in town registered her husband as an assistant recently she was told that he wouldn't be able to take children in his car without her - it all seems very strange if you ask me nothing is standard - we spoke to our network co-ordinator who said that we must ring Ofsted and have it approved and state that we have parental permission. This all came up because another minder wants to register her niece in order that she can help her to carry some of her mindees as she can't fit them all in her 5 seater.
    Celest

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carol cameron View Post
    Yet again it seems to be different rules from different folks at good old Ofsted!! I have signed permission from my parents to allow my registered childminder friend to transport my minded children in her car. If I did not have enough seats in my car and we were going out then one of my children could be transported in hers and parents were happy with this as they all know her as do the children. Obviously she has her first aid, relevant business insurance etc. However, I was told by Ofsted that this was unacceptable as I was not directly supervising the children whilst they were in her car so my insurance would be invalid and that although parents had signed this did not count!! It's ok for children over 8 though.
    I am always in the car as ultimatly the children are my responsibility. Also when you register an assistant you are taking responsibility for them and would have insurance to cover any accidents, your cm would not have this to cover your mindees.
    Last edited by green puppy; 23-09-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What did your insurance company say about this?
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just got off of the phone from Ofsted and was told

1. Assistants can carry children in a car on their own as long as they have complied with the register conditions and your car is insured for them with Class 1 Business Use

2. You can have children in another childminders car with written parental permission.

Hope that helps
    Debbie

mar 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I have just got off of the phone from Ofsted and was told

1. Assistants can carry children in a car on their own as long as they have complied with the register conditions and your car is insured for them with Class 1 Business Use

2. You can have children in another childminders car with written parental permission.

Hope that helps
    Well, as I was told by Ofsted that I couldn't do it- even with parents written permission -and at this point I haven't questioned it any further. she actually went back to the office to check it out and phoned me the next day to say that unless I was in the other childminder's car I couldn't do it, even though it was clearly for the child's benefit !!! Mad system I think!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, as I was told by Ofsted that I couldn't do it- even with parents written permission -and at this point I haven't questioned it any further. she actually went back to the office to check it out and phoned me the next day to say that unless I was in the other childminder's car I couldn't do it, even though it was clearly for the child's benefit !!! Mad system I think!!
    Go back and ask again and then request it in writing. I will post the reply to my email requesting confirmation when it comes back
    Debbie

mar 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    Go back and ask again and then request it in writing. I will post the reply to my email requesting confirmation when it comes back
    thanks Debbbie, think it might be worth checking out. i will pm you. thanks. carolx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello

I go out and about with another childminder and the children sometimes swap cars (numbers permitted) and other times in the school holidays they travel with friends in another childminders car.

Both the childminder and I are Ofsted registered, have Class 1 Business Use on our insurance and have parental permission

Is this okay to do? If not, why not?

Regards

Debbie Southern

The answer

Dear Ms Southern,

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry this is perfectly acceptable as long as you remain within your numbers.

I hope you find this information helpful. However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

<name removed by Pauline>
    Ofsted - National Business Unit
    TEL: 0300 123 1231

I am now asking whether this relates to all 3 registers.
    Last edited by Pauline; 23-09-2010 at 09:09 PM.
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Debbie - just for confidentiality I have taken the person's name out of the email.
    Pauline x