Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Registering DS as assistant

Hello!

DS is often around on random days and in the holidays, and will sit and play with the children. They all adore him, and when he is around, i might as well not be here!

I was just wondering about maybe registering him as my assistant. He is 16, and already has his DBS as he lives at home. I've been looking up what else he needed to do, and as far as i can see, if i didn't leave him alone with minded children, then he wouldn't need to do his first aid. I know that I would have to talk to him about safeguarding - would he need to do any training?
    I know I would need to ensure my insurance covered an employee, but what else? I wouldn't be requiring him to 'work' set days etc, just thought it might come in useful! ( especially on the days in the holidays when I have alot of children! )

What else?

Would I need to do reviews/assessments etc? I wouldn't be giving him any key children or anything! I know that he could earn X amount before I needed to pay any tax/insurance for him.

I presume though, that IF he was registered as my assistant, that I could then increase the number of Under 8's that I/we cared for.

Thanks xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Needs to be 17+ to be included in ratios:
    see Pacey 'Employing and working with childminding assistants'

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, thanks

I don't remember assistants having to be 17 before! I'll wait till he's 17! X

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

3.29 states for ratios assistant must be 17+.

If a 16 year old is doing an early years apprenticship then they be counted.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post