Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Supervising assistants

Hi there,
    Atended 2 day training regarding employing assistants and although apprasials are no longer needed I was told that dedicated supervision time was and that there needs to be written evidence of the supervision?

Does anybody do this? can you give me some advice?
    Was also told that because within my safeguarding staff policy I tell parents that my nephew does not help with any intimate care procedures nappy changing,toilet training applying suncream I am in breech of equal oportunities laws
    He doesn't want to change them??

Thanks in advance xx

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

They are talking !!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

3. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mayhaps yet another know-nothing 'expert' trainer padding out course content to justify their own existence?

Them as can, do. Them as can't, teach.

Jun 06
    Post Thanks / Like

During my recent inspection the inspector wanted to know how me and my co minder protect ourselves should an incident occur whilst one of us is caring for the other's mindees. How would we prove who was looking after said child at the time. Bit of a dumb question really I thought but she was happy with my explanation that we could look back through daily diaries and nursery schedules etc to see who was where and when and in charge of who. I argued the toss about writing down every time we clocked in and out of each child's day and she dropped it.
    Personally I think you're right about your nephew. I wouldn't let anyone except those paid to care for the child get involved with any intimate procedures. No way. Trainer sounds coockoo.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming your nephew is your assistant it sounds like it was his choice to not be involved in these routines not yours so your not in breech of anything. Your hardly discriminating if your accepting your employees not comfortable being put in that situation. If you weren't letting him because he's a man then you might be able to say you were discriminating but would they say the same if your assistant was a woman and you didn't let them get involved in those routines either

may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for advice - nephew is pd assistant and when he started with me 2yrs ago we discussed job discription and he asked not to be involved with intimate care I agreed didnt see the problem until
    this woman from my L.A said I was breaking equal opps law- not worried about L.A only what Ofsted might have to say. Would like to add get no help or needed advice such as changes to allergy info for parents have found that out from you guys on here as I do with everything else xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would change what you say to parents that your nephew is your registered assistant, under equal opportunity laws you aren't allowed to say he can't change nappies but that it's his personal wish to not change nappies or do personal care routines unless absolutely necessary eg: you had left him to do a school run, you had hurt your back and he had to do nappies supervised by you.