Advice on registerng an asisstant.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice on registerng an asisstant.

What exactly do I need to do if I want to hire an asisstant. An Idiot's step by step guide lol.

I know they need an EY2 and DBS check and I will also put them through their First Aid Course. But what do I need to do in terms on insurance, HMRC, and everything else? Are there any certain rules I need to consider? I will be having my asisstant 16 hours a week. Thank you.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Insurance- just call your public liability and tell them you are employing an assistant. I am with mm they just made a note on the system. You already have employers liability as part of their package so no extra cost.

Hmrc- if earning over the weekly threshold then you register as an employer. Then register for PAYE. You can download a software package to work out their pay and submit the details and payment of tax and ni monthly to hmrc. I downloaded bright pay and it seems fine. It's free if less than 3 employees.

You will need a contract of employment and policies such as grievance procedures.

Make sure you change your policies and procedures to include working with an assistant. Particularly your safeguarding mention recruitment or have a separate recruitment procedure and also state about what you would do if your assistant is accused of an allegation. Include in you recruitment procedure how you will ensure they are suitable to work with children- eg get written references, get them to sign to say they are not disqualified, do a health check etc as well as the ey2 and DBS and update.

Have permissions forms for families that allows the assistant to have sole care for short periods of time. Have registers of when the assistant is in a and when they are alone and who with. If alone they need first aid.

Have a training log especially an induction log which they and you sign to say the info has been passed on to them and they understand. Have an ongoing appraisal system where you check their suitability.

I am not very experienced with employment but started off on a bad foot this summer and have had to change everything I do to meet this requirement and so I would highly recommend being thorough with everything and if you employ someone you know make sure you ask all the questions as if you didn't know them.

3. Likes EmmaReed84 liked this post
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, that is incredibly helpful x

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you have a contingency plan incase your assistant is off sick. If your assistant doesn't turn up for any reason you will be over your numbers (if you've taken on more children).
    Toothfairy

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for a useful thread! I hope it's ok to add a couple of my own questions?

Do any of you employ assistants who have their own under 5 year old? What do you charge them for their own child?
    Does your assistant use their own vehicle at all? I assume they need business cover on their insurance, do you also pay them a mileage allowance?
    Where do I go about getting the basis of an employment contract? Do you all hire your assistant for the same hours each week or does it vary? I would like to be able to give my assistant her hours, say, a month at a time and to call on her in emergencies.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My assistant has her own over 8 and so therefore i cannot answer what I would do if own under 5. Also she doesn't drive.

I have 2 ladies I have registered as assistants to use as "bank staff". I give my assistant her hours for the Half term ahead and book holidays a month in advance. I'm lucky mine is very flexible.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and as for the basis of a contract- ACAS have samples on their website and you can call them for free advise if you have specific questions.

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much!